Help with decimals in form field. (1 Viewer)

cnut1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:24
I have a tblParts that has data in this format 200200.0100 (these are bin numbers). I have created a form with a bound field (field name on the form is BinNo) that goes back to the tblParts. I need to be able for the user to enter on the form the Bin number as it appears above. However at the moment it is dropping my decimal and is only keeping the 200200 portion of the Bin Number. If I enter the bin number correctly into the table it accepts the correct format of 200200.0100. Can someone take a look at the form and the field BinNo to tell me what I may have missed.
Keep in mind that the goal of the database is to enter the bin number into the form and run a query that creates a new table. There is also a delete table button since the data in the form will change for each blueprint document created.
I am attempting to attach a practice db for you to see what I have done but I have not had much success with this in the past. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Practice DB.zip
    70.7 KB · Views: 158

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:24
Since you will not be using math on your bin number, the field should be a text field. I suspect it is a numerical field and an integer to boot.

cnut1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:24
What should be happening in the database is when several Bin Numbers are entered into the form (frmBinNo) such as 200200.0100, 20020.1200, 200200.1412 and 200200.1523 and you then press the Run query button. What this should do is pull the Bin No. from the tblParts and move it to the tblTemp. (including any information related to that Bin No.). The need for this is that these Bin Numbers (Part #'s) are used for blueprint drawings. Each drawing will have a different set of Part numbers or Bin No. I need for it to be input into the form in the correct format of 200200.XXXX. As it currently is it continues to drop the decimal and anything after it when entered into the form.
Being new to Access I don't have a clear picture how to move only the data needed from the tblParts into the tblTemp and for it to be entered into the form in the correct format for the user who is doing the data entry. There could be at some point where I may run into Bin Numbers that contain a combination of numbers and letters. Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Since I am a beginner please make your explanations detailed to make a clearer picture. for me.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:24
Having the decimal part of a number truncated is a symptom of putting a decimal type number into an integer type field. Integers *only* hold whole numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom