DB Splitting and ACCDE (1 Viewer)

sstasiak

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:41
I have 2 questions.

The first is regarding splitting a database into 2 files, one for tables, and one for forms and queries. I have a database whose data will be accessed from about 4 computers, and almost never will this data be accessed concurrently. In that kind of situation, is it easier to just put the whole DB in a share and give each user a shortcut to it, or should I be splitting it and just putting the tables on the share?

Second question:

The option in Access 2007 to make the database an .accde file. From what I understand this just locks down the structure of the database so it can't be changed. Is this correct? Can it be edited by an admin once it's converted to this format, or does it just stay that way? I guess if it can't be edited, one could just keep a copy of the .mdb, modify that, then reconvert it to .accde.

Also, if I were to split my DB, would I first split and then convert to ACCDE, or the opposite?

Can someone enlighten me on these few things?

Thanks

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:41
1) Personally, I'd still split it and put the FE on user's computers

2) I haven't used 2007, but my understanding is that the accde is the equivalent of the mde. Presuming that's true, you can't modify the objects in the accde. Exactly as you've described, you would make the changes in the mdb and create a new accde for distribution.

3) Split, then convert the FE (no need to convert the BE).

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
In Access 2007, as well as other versions of Access, you create an MDE file by going to Database Tools and selecting Make MDE. The MDE it makes will be a copy of the current database and it will not change your master. But, you will need to remake the MDE every time you change something in the master and want to deploy it.

sstasiak

Registered User.
Local time
I was able to split the database successfully, but when I go to 'Database Tools' and click "Make ACCDE" I get an error saying "Microsoft Office Access was unable to create the .accde, .mde, or .ade file."

Then, in the help section on that error, it says:

This error is usually associated with compiling a large database into an MDE file.  Because of the method used to compile the database, a considerable number of TableID references are created for each table.  The Access database engine can only create a maximum of 2048 open TableIDs at one time.  Exporting a database as an MDE potentially can exceed this limit if the database has a large number of objects (table, macro, form, report, etc).
There is no accurate method to estimate the number of TableIDs the Access database engine uses during the process of compiling a database as an MDE.  However, each VBA module and each form uses one TableID, as a result, if the database has 500 forms, and each form's HasModule property is set to Yes, as many as 1,000 TableIDs are used.

Can anyone tell why it's not working?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Open up the VBA IDE (window where you write the VBA code) and go to Debug > Compile and it will take you to any compile errors. You must fix them before it can be converted as converting to MDE will complile all of the code and if there's an error it can't compile it.

Local time
Today, 08:41
I got the same error message when I tried to recreate an .mde file after writing lengthy code in a Module. Bob Larsen is right on - I had an error in my recent code somewhere although it compiled OK. I fixed the code and then recreated the .mde OK.

sstasiak

Registered User.
Local time
I corrected the code and it compiled.

Thanks

jmgaddis

Local time
Accde

Just wanted to express my thanks for those that replied to help.

Helped me with the "This error is usually associated with compiling a large database into an MDE file." issue when trying to create an "MDE"... I knew my database wasn't that large that the "largeness" would be the issue.

Compiled and it found an error.

Have a great day.

John

jmgaddis

Local time
Accde - Access 2007

Just wanted to express my thanks for those that replied to help.

Helped me with the "This error is usually associated with compiling a large database into an MDE file." issue when trying to create an "MDE"... I knew my database wasn't that large that the "largeness" would be the issue.

Compiled and it found an error.

Have a great day.

John

neoartz237

Tensai
Local time
So, I accde-ed my file but then it cant seem to run codes no more... what gives? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom