No Americans (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 13:27
Althougth early across the pond I was still surprised to see that I was the only member on, then I remembered the date.
Hope you had a good day guys.

Brian

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:27
Brian, did you see our friends were very nearly "Subjects" rather then "Citizens"
I guess the yoke of oppression was a little harder to forget then thought.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
No Americans. Can you imagine how that would be?

Just think of all the wars and world crisis that wouldn't have happened. How many hundreds of thousands of innocent people would still be alive.

Would our lives be better? Or is America like an S.T.D. - you learn to live with it.
Can we live without McDonalds? Or the disgusting bastardisation of our language?

Col

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
they were welcome in two European started wars

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:27
No Americans. Can you imagine how that would be?

Just think of all the wars and world crisis that wouldn't have happened. How many hundreds of thousands of innocent people would still be alive.

........l

My understanding is that the Americans were reluctant starters in both WW I and WW II. In fact had Churchill not ordered the destruction the French fleet (a fleet they had been on manoeuvres with only month previously) at the outset of WW II, it is possible that they would not have put in place the Lend-Lease program that bolstered England's defences.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:27
Or the disgusting bastardisation of our language?

Wake up and find some perspective instead of indulging your ignorance and bigotry.

The European invasion of North America started in 1492, a hundred years before the first attempt at an English dictionary. This book was a glossary of 8000 words. Spelling and grammar had enormous variation across the country.

It was not until 1755 that Samual Johnson published the first reasonably comprehensive English dictionary. Unsurprisingly, the people of the USA had arrived at their own conventions over the 250 years that had passed.

The standardisation of English spelling was controversial. Many wanted to phoneticise the spelling but traditionalist won the day. For example. the spelling of colour adopted the French influence of coleur rather than the original Latin color which the americans had taken with them to the New World.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Always wondered why Color and Colour were different.

What about Sox and Socks ?

We don't spell Secks instead of Sex, why then Socks?

If you notice in Windows we have many versions of English.

The Australians have probably done far worse to the "Queens" English then the US could ever do, if it was to worry them, which I am sure it doesn't.

And what of the Queens English ? Half the country couldn't make a simple sentence that the Queen would understand - I think. Certainly appears that way with all the accents and local variations on words.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
It's rather odd that Americans give more energy to the birth of their nation than the birth of Jesus:eek:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:27
Notice you never hear Colin or Rich say nasty things about Germany; Hitler killed millions of Jews, men women and children. Or the old Soviet Union Joseph Stalin systematically starved millions of his own country men. How about Mao Tse- ung? Another hero of there’s, His tally was 14-20 million dead from starvation. They will just keep beating the same old tired drum blah blah blah. Why not do something useful, like kick out that tied old Monarchy, quit Inbreeding and for God sakes get those bloody teeth fixed.

Last edited:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Notice you never hear Colin or Rich say nasty things about Germany; Hitler killed millions of Jews, men women and children. Or the old Soviet Union Joseph Stalin systematically starved millions of his own country men. How about Mao Tse- ung? Another hero of there’s, His tally was 14-20 million dead from starvation. They will just keep beating the same old tired drum blah blah blah. Why not do something useful, like kick out that tied old Monarchy, quit Inbreeding and for God sakes get those bloody teeth fixed.

What the hell do you think we went to war for,whilst America slept?:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It's rather odd that Americans give more energy to the birth of their nation than the birth of Jesus:eek:

To the birth of "their" Jesus.

Remember that god is American - although not born there, so technically he (Jesus) only has US citizenship, and therefore cannot be president.

Col

statsman

Local time
Today, 08:27
I notice Her Majesty had the good sense to be in Canada this week.

A woman of excellent taste and judgement.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Re: Yes Americans!!

Awwwww its sooooooooo nice to be kicking back in sunny California. A nice 78 degrees in Orange County. The stars and stripes flying, chicken on the BBQ, awesome day!

Now that sounds like the way to celebrate the making of the movie Independance Day :D

I trust you had fireworks later?

By the way, Happy 4th July America

chergh

blah
Local time
Ah America's war of independence, what a glorious day, though it had a lot less to do with independence and was more so that rich americans didn't have to pay taxes to the british crown. Still it's an enduring theme in america even today the rich do everything they can to avoid paying taxes.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Ah America's war of independence, what a glorious day, though it had a lot less to do with independence and was more so that rich americans didn't have to pay taxes to the british crown. Still it's an enduring theme in america even today the rich do everything they can to avoid paying taxes.

Not just in America, but world wide! I seem to recall many of our top entertainers making swift departures from the UK as soon as they started to earn serious money. Strangely, many of them fled to America :)

Leffe78

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:27

But this is something that applies to human behavior rather than american behavior wouldn't you agree?

chergh

blah
Local time
But this is something that applies to human behavior rather than american behavior wouldn't you agree?

What celebrating victory in a war which was waged to lower the tax burden of the rich? I thought it was quite unique to the USA to be honest, though I could be wrong as I haven't researched it.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:27
We don't spell Secks instead of Sex, why then Socks?
Sock is singular, You add the 's' to make the plural.
Sex, box, fox, etc. are just words that end in 'x', which happens to sound like 'cks' when spoken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom