screen Size (1 Viewer)

Neo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:21
Hi

I have a DB which is used by lots of different PC with different Screen res. Is there any code that will detect what the DB was designed in and change the computer to that res

Any ideas?

border20

Registered User.
Local time
I dont know about such code... my suggestion is just to make the DB compatible with the lowest rez

jfgambit

Kinetic Card Dealer
Local time
The following attachment will resize the screen resolutoin and then change it back upon closing of the database. You can adjust the screen size by changing the underlining code.

I cannot take credit for this. It came from Ricky Hicks at UtterAccess.com.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers by posting a different Access help site, but I also know that taking credit for something that was designed by someone else is an Access "no no"

:D

Attachments

• changeresolution.zip
    36.9 KB · Views: 962

John.Woody

Registered User.
Local time
I've looked at this facility before and got it to work. The problems encountered by users were:

Changing screen res and alt+Tab meant other programs were not in the correct resolution.

Some monitors would flicker as refresh frequency would need adjusting, particularly on tfts'.

This lead me to try some code origionally posted on this forum some time ago by someone called Arnu I think. It works well on everything except sub forms and is very usable. It stretches the forms to fit your current resolution and therefore avoids the above problems.

Hope you find it useful:)

Attachments

• screenres.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 708
M

mission2java_78

Downloading some cheap code which changes resolution is NOT good. It scares users as well as the OS.
Use ShrinkerStretcher...from www.peterssoftware.com.
Its a great tool which automatically resizes controls / forms / etc for any resolution...and the good thing is its only like 20 bucks...Well worth it to have a purdy application than something that changes resolutions.

Jon

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 04:21
For free the BEST form resizer is on www.developershandbook.com under downloads. No problems with subform data and the user doesn't have to do anything.

Autoeng

Last edited:
M

mission2java_78

Nice link...doesnt even work...no wonder why its free.

Jon

M

mission2java_78

How is this the best?

You have to include the ADHResize reference in each client usage? That means whoever uses your app needs to have a reference to this access file. Otherwise your scaling wont work...in fact you'll get the wicked reference errors. If you want a built in module / classes that do resizing so that you can distribute your application without worrying about referencing or additional .mdb's than you need to purchase this.

www.peterssoftware.com

Jon

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
We are comparing free versus pay for. For the Access Developer's resizer to function properly simply place the mde on a shared network are reference to it before you distribute the db. No problem.

And Peter's has the same issue
7. How do I add a reference from my Access project to ShrinkerStretcher?

OK, this is how you do it step by step:

1. Open your Access database application.
2. Click modules tab.
3. If there is no module, create one (click "new").
4. If there already is a module, open it in design mode.
5. On the menu, click "Tools" > "References". The references dialog box should appear.
6. Click "Browse".
7. In the "Files of Type" combo box, select "MDE Files (*.mde)" if you have installed the ShrinkerStretcher demo, select "MDB Files (*.mdb)" if you have installed the ShrinkerStretcher registered version.
8. Find the ShrinkerStretcher .mde, or .mdb file. It should be in a folder named "ShrinkerStretcher vX for Access 97/2000/2002", or "ShrinkerStretcher vX demo for Access 97/2000/2002".
9. Select the ShrinkerStretcher .mde or .mdb file and click "Open".
10. Click "OK" to close the references dialog box.
11. That's it. Now you should be able to reference the ShrinkerStretcher module.

If you want to pay for something that you can get for free then go ahead but after reading all of the issues that you can have with Peter's http://www.peterssoftware.com/ssfaq.htm I think I'll stick with the other.

Autoeng

M

mission2java_78

If the module is right in the access tool for each client than the reference is already set.
That is why you get all the source code with the classes and modules needed. This all sits on the front end application...so users dont need to run steps. The post you gave is someone trying to reference his code / modules from another application. But idf the class is within the application in itself than you dont need to do this. issues? Havent had any for 3 years. Those who have issues are those who dont RTFM.

There is a lot more to shrinker stretcher as opposed to what you posted. In fact the rescaling and sizing can change based on simple calls to functions which the litwin book doesnt take care of. Additional arguments such as ResizeOneTimeOnly can be set in shrinkerstretcher where litwin doesnt. THis can be a problem when re-opening forms over and over..especially if the form si already open. :-o. I guess we can go back and forth with this..its a matter of choice. I dont think 20 bucks especially if a company is willing to put forth the money..is a lot. But that's just my 2 cents. No free code is good code unless its linux.

Jon

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
I don't know. Any code written by Ken Getz I would consider pretty good.

Autoeng

M

mission2java_78

Ya consider not one piece of event handling or error handling is done in any of that code you posted.

User logs in cool...the form is rescaled
User clicks the open form button again even though the form is open

**BOOM** Error click debug to debug the visual basic code or end to quit.

User: O this is nice I can see all the vb code, change it, and save it...I wonder why....Ill call the developer.

Ring ring hi developer i can modify your code.

Developer: o sh**...looks back at the code...o nice no error handling.

Jon

Sorrells

Registered User.
Local time
For what it is worth, I have been using Ken Getz (and others) ADHResize for about 1/2 year in the application I am developing.

I have found it to be reliable and stable in use but during design it is advantageous to be aware of:

1) Opening a form in design while not in the base resolution can cause serious graphical changes to the form until it is reset in the programming resolution.

2) The best design mode I found out of the set 600x800 up to 1024x786 was the latter.

3) When moving the application to other directories or PCs, the reference must be taken with it and so far I have been manually renewing the relationship in the Tool/References dialogue box.
If the reference to the MDE file is not re-instated, the error I see the most is an OnOpen Error.

4) Creating and designing on a 17" monitor and at 1024x768, I do not get good form resizing on a pretty new Dell Latitude laptop. I have yet to figure out why.

These are pretty insignificant when considering on the whole what a mess having no ReSizer is like.

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Sorrells:

I too have been using the ADHresizer for over a year and found the same issues. One thing that you can do to help ease the reference issue is locate the ADH mde on a shared network source and point the reference there. Now, no matter what machine the db is opened from the reference will be the same.

As to opening the forms in design mode and getting some funky resizing whenever I am going to be doing some form redesign I open the modules and disable the code calling the resize, make my changes, save, reenabel the changes, compile and save and am good to go.

I know Mission likes Peter's pay for solution and it is good but I have never had an error with ADH and have a multitude of different user resolutions to deal with. Best of all it's FREE and if it's FREE it's for ME!

O

OPMCoordinator

Hello!

I am currently facing a few problems with my charts being clipped on the right hand side. The searching I have done on numerous sites all seem to point to a difference in screen resolutions between computers as being the culprit. (although it happens on mine with reports buit on mine and viewed on mine - aaaaargh!)

The methods and products mentioned in this thread appear to address the look of forms etc on different computers so that is good news.

Has anyone had any experience with the graph glitch as mentioned above in relation to these two methods of coping with resolution errors? (before I go and muck up (further!) any of my applications)

Cheers

Mike Collett

Sorrells

Registered User.
Local time
Mike,

I saw your post but cannot advise on graphs. Good Luck!

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
I haven't worked with graphs in Access so I can't really offer any great advice but I will say this. I would assume that you display the graph on a report and that you have to put some type of "holder" on the report for the graph to be placed. Is this holder big enough to hold the graph? I can't see screen resolution really playing a factor in this type of issue but as I said I've never done graphs in Access so I may just be blowing smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom