Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Finally Released (1 Viewer)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 01:39
Just be careful - there's been some issues on Microsoft Answers about Access 2010 and the Windows 7 Service Pack Update. I can't remember the specific items but there have been a few posts from people saying something isn't working after they updated to Win7 SP1.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:39
I was about to say that this is in the wrong forum, but then realised that this is the Politics and Current Events forum, so the thread qualifies.

Brian

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Although it probably should be in the WINDOWS category.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:39
But then this was not a question, simply a regurgitation of a news announcement for those who may be interested in updating their version of Windows. This seemed to be the appropriate location, since no question was involved.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I wouldn't recommend an update yet. If you keep your windows up to date with the hot fixes, you'll have most of the fixes in this release any way. I like to wait a few weeks to months so all tweaks can be worked out. One of my friends updated, and immediately blue screened repeatedly. He had to back track to an earlier state.

He's a techie too, so it wasn't user error.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:39
Along the lines of the statement by Vassago…

We often hear asked ‘Have you got the latest service packs installed?’
This seems to imply that we should have the latest service packs installed.

But latest service pack equates to latest software and having the latest software on a production machine is a bit of a no no.

So, if we want to debug software for Microsoft then just bang it on a machine and suffer the consequences.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I wouldn't recommend an update yet. QUOTE]

Just an additional - the Windows 7 SP1 comes across Microsoft Updates as a critical update so for those who migh have their Update settings set to update automatically for critical updates, you will get it automatically and I wouldn't want to go there yet.

If anyone has those settings, I would suggest changing them to notify you of updates but let you do them.

Khalid_Afridi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:39
I have problem with the Access 2010, on 64 bit machine... the wonderful thing is that, when you compact and repair database, the Autonumber key got disorder.

for example:
before compact & repair:
Autonumber key Field:

After compact and Repair:
Autonumber key field:

My tables seeding number getting revers i.e after compact the higher number of seeding get 98 instead of 100, so when new record is inserted to the table it give error message for duplicate entries....

I have no idea why it happens?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Well Khalid, you shouldn't care what the autonumber is. If you care, you are using the autonumber in a way that you shouldn't. It really only guarantees you a UNIQUE number and not in any particular order, although increment usually does do it that way but it isn't a guarantee about that.

If you care what the numbering is, you need to use your own numbering using DMax+1 and possibly in combination with a one record table which can help lock others from getting the same number.

Khalid_Afridi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:39
You are right bob, but you know this database was created in Access 98 or may be may be 2000, this was used for years as a not splited database in one organization, till 2008 it reach its records to 200000 + and was used on large skill. then they asked me to work on it and to enhance the application for multi users use.
I split the database in fe, be versions and changed the format to Access 2003 mdb, sofar so good, there was no worries for compacting and repair, but in 2010 they change all the computer to 64 bit and install Ms office 2010 on them.

Here the problem started.... all my API calls for 32 bit in VBA crashed with 64 bit version.
The compact and repair problem, curropution of data to chinise characters. etc

I cant remove the Autonumber field from the tables because it hugely interlinked to more than 20 tables. Although the are integrated and nominalized properly but the problem of autonumber seeding is still persists.

Is it because of the conversion of old versions i.e 2000, to 2003, 2007 to 2010???
or Microsoft has not noticed and ignore this problem?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Good points! I didn't expect this to generate a discussion. I'm still with WindowsXP, but I am planing to buy a new computer "soon". My computer is six years old now. Hard to believe.

My intent is to have the new computer boot into Ubuntu as the primary operating system, but have Windows7 for those cases were you need Windows. My other two computers are both on Ubuntu and have been operating very well. I'm impressed. (Trying to learn BASE and MySQL has been excruciatingly difficult.)

So far I've been hesitant to cut-the-cord.:)

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
To clarify on Bob's warning... SP1 has a breaking change in ADO. If I've understood it right, it's only bad if the development is using SP1 (which has a version of ADO updated) then we distribute to clients not using Windows 7 SP1.

The thread discussing this as well links to the MSDN thread.

Personally, I never accept default setting of automatic download & installations. They're wayy too pushy and I'd rather having a working image.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
To clarify on Bob's warning... SP1 has a breaking change in ADO. If I've understood it right, it's only bad if the development is using SP1 (which has a version of ADO updated) then we distribute to clients not using Windows 7 SP1
Never anticipated this type of fall-out. Good thing we have forums were "breakage" such as this can be exposed.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:39
Good points! I didn't expect this to generate a discussion. I'm still with WindowsXP, but I am planing to buy a new computer "soon". My computer is six years old now. Hard to believe.

So far I've been hesitant to cut-the-cord.:)

Mine is 9 years old I had intended to replace it a few years ago but the horror stories on Vista put me off, eventually I decided to wait for 7, my problem is I only use ACCESS on the forum so when I move I have to decide whether to learn 2010 or become a "social" member, given my wife's ill health and my age I'll probably opt for the latter.

To clarify I take it that I'll be fine if I keep away from Access?

Brian

Vassago

Local time
You can use Access 97 in Windows 7, so I'm sure you'll be able to use whatever versions you use now.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
You can use Access 97 in Windows 7, so I'm sure you'll be able to use whatever versions you use now.
You got 97 to work with Windows 7? Everything I've heard is that for Access 2000 and earlier (possibly 2002) that you needed to use Virtual XP in order for it to work.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
and more importantly, why would one want to run Access 97 on Windows 7? it seems to me a recipe for trouble and headaches.

Vassago

Local time
I've heard repeated success without needing to use virtualization. I've never done it myself, but I do know a friend of mine has many databases programmed exclusively in 97, and he had it working. Try something like this:

http://nwsmith.blogspot.com/2010/07/running-access-97-on-windows-7.html

Take caution you don't already have a newer version installed, as Office 97 doesn't play nice with pre-existing newer versions. After 97 is installed, you can install later versions without incident as separate installs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom