Disabling the shift ket (1 Viewer)

Amy35

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:18
I've searched the forums and have found info on disabling the shift key in Access 97 but how do you do it in Access 2K? Of course I would also like a way for me to be able to bypass whatever security I set up. Anyone know? I'm not a great progammer so I'm hoping the solution isn't too complex. Thanks in advance!

Amy

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Amy

You can do this by having another database that will enable/disable the shift key for you. I have a sample of this where you enter the path name of your database then choose to enable or disable. Good news as well it's in a2k.

Here's a sample

Hay

Attachments

• allowbypasskey2k.zip
    25.3 KB · Views: 3,700

Amy35

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks!

Thank you! It works great. I really appreciate the help!

Amy

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:18
Hayley Baxter said:
Hi Amy

You can do this by having another database that will enable/disable the shift key for you. I have a sample of this where you enter the path name of your database then choose to enable or disable. Good news as well it's in a2k.

Here's a sample

Hay
Ricky Hicks gets the credit for designing the sample Hayley posted! That version is very outdated and you can get the latest version @
ByPass Shift Key Utility for Access

ccocom

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:18
Which method is better?

ghudson: which is the better way to go, the tool or your code?

ccocom

Registered User.
Local time
Adp

I am working with an .adp. Is there anything I can do to disable the shift key in this case?

redsmudge

Local time
Today, 02:18
Thanks to GHudson for pointing this out - and link to the version for A2k-A2k7

This works wonders.

The one thing I noticed, which I did not see mentioned before, is that if the database you are trying to set the bypass for was secured from within some other Workgroup, then you must join that workgroup first, then run this program. you can join back to the default workgroup when done setting this flag.

sky1174

Local time
Today, 15:18
Is this method good enough for security ? how about if unauthorized user have this tool/code to enable bypasskey ? all the link table will be expose.

Local time
Access User and Group security is still the best bet. The code above provides what we call "security through obscurity"...

Try this: Create a new mdb, then go to File -> Import and select your db that has the shift-key disabled... and watch in horror!

Also, Access database passwords are easily cracked (at least they were in '97, I don't know about the rest).

Last edited:

redsmudge

Local time
Today, 02:18
I will have to check on that and see if I can import thjese tables or not.
I disabled ALL permissions on users group, to database and all individual elements.

I added custom groups and users, and removed Admins group from the admin user.

also, because I created this with a specific workgroup file, I need to use the chortcut method to open access, point to the database and tell it which workgroup file to use.

When I try to open it outsideof that, it will not work.

I will try importing from it and see if I can or not, an post back when I have the answer.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Also, Access database passwords are easily cracked (at least they were in '97, I don't know about the rest).
They were in every version up through, and including 2003. Access 2007 actually strengthened the encryption used for the database password and I don't know of any tools yet which can get it for you. There may be some but I have yet to hear of any. (which can also be a two-edged sword for those who lose it or if someone leaves and doesn't give it up - hope you have a backup that isn't "protected" - or can you say "system rewrite" :D )

sky1174

Local time
Today, 15:18
Access User and Group security is still the best bet. The code above provides what we call "security through obscurity"...

Try this: Create a new mdb, then go to File -> Import and select your db that has the shift-key disabled... and watch in horror!

What about if the unauthorized user just copy the MDW file ? I never use user&group security before. Thanks

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
What about if the unauthorized user just copy the MDW file ? I never use user&group security before. Thanks

They can copy the MDW file, but if they don't have a username and password to enter the database with it, it is useless to them.

raghuprabhu

Registered User.
Local time
This small attached database may be of help to you. The buttons should be set transparent. This is in access 2000.

Attachments

• ByPass.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,169

WIS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:18

There is a simple way to stop someone getting your frms, rpts and mdls - put a password on your code. They'll still be able to get your qrys and tbls.

Unfortunately, the "AllowByPassKey" can be easily broken up to A2003. But you cannot (easily) break a db in A2003 with ABPK set to False even if you have selected the option of leaving the db in A2000 mode.

raghuprabhu

Registered User.
Local time
I am new to Access. Been at it on and off for a few years. Dispite all this I feel I have just dipped my toes in a VAST sea called Access. Learning new things every day. Thanks.

Cheers
Raghu

MichealDon

Registered User.
Local time
This small attached database may be of help to you. The buttons should be set transparent. This is in access 2000.

Dear raghuprabhu

In the ByPass.mbd attached from you posted.
The Navigation Pane is hiding after Form F_ByPass loading.
In my File Test.mdb, I did copy all same from your codes but the navigation could not be hide and and the code is not running (cmdPrevent & cmdAllow)
I do not know, where i was wrong ?
Can you show me the way to solve ?
Thank you very much
michealdon

Attachments

• Test.accdb
    828 KB · Views: 84

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:18
Michael, you are responding to a nine-year-old thread. You might do better to start a new thread and just restate your question in plain English. I haven't seen some of this thread's contributors in several years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom