Question Find hard to normalise :( (1 Viewer)

Rumesh Nilanka

Local time
Today, 02:32
I have this datafiles and its hard for me to normalise ...please can someone help me in doing this

Last edited by a moderator:

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:32
Unless you explain what your DB is about i.e. business involved with, how it is organized, what have you done to normalize it? Have you gone through tutorials?

This is a good place to start - Roger's Access Blog.

I am not sure anyone will be able to open up a DB without any information and understand what it does. So help us help you ! Good Luck !

Rumesh Nilanka

Local time
ok im sorry for the less informaton given... i hope that posting the senario is helpfull rather than telling what i understood..

"Wallsherpool Sixth Form College is located in the North East of England. Vicky Wilkinson is the performing arts teacher. She produces performances at various times during the year. Some of the performances are used to generate evidence for students studyingA-level performing arts, others are purely for fun. The next production will be The Wizard of Oz and it is a performance for fun. It will be performed for the general public over a number of dates.

Every performance needs students to take a range of production jobs, for example sound Crew, directing crew and actors. Students specify the production job they would like to have. They keep the same job on all productions they are involved in.Each production has characters, which only actors can be assigned to play. For example,in The Wizard of Oz there is a character called Dorothy. Only one actor is assigned to a title role, such as Dorothy. Up to ten actors can be required for a bit part character, such as winged monkeys.Currently Vicky keeps handwritten records of students and productions. She is finding this stressful as it is hard to make sure production jobs have been filled and all characters have actors assigned to them.
Vicky knows you are studying ICT and thinks you could
develop a more efficient IT-based solution to register students and manage the productions. In the first instance it has been agreed that you will design and build a prototype relational database system that will focus on three tasks."

so according to this senario i should normalise the data files i've posted before ... and i find it difficult... i would appreciate if you can see to it

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:32
Let, me expand on what pr2 is really saying. We have no problem helping people with their homework on this site. We won't however, do people's homework.

So, asking for us to normalize your database isn't going to fly. Asking us to review your attempt at normalization will. As will any specific questions you have about a specific issue .

Rumesh Nilanka

Local time
I have created the database but i have a problem with the production ID... it is in 3 tables i find that i have done sme mistake in normalisation i cnt fgure it out..please help ...the picture shows the relationships ..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    63.7 KB · Views: 295

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:32
You are correct, it isn't needed in tables that aren't using it to link to other tables. What table is it native to? It doesn't seem to be used in any real manner in any of the tables you have shown. What table is it created in?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:32
From a quick read it seems that Students can perform the role of a Character in a Production, or they could do/be assigned to do some ProductionJob.
Question for OP: Can a cast member (Student performing a Character role also have a ProductionJob?)

The point is you have 2 types of Jobs for a Production (stage hand/director etc and Actors) and you are assigning these Jobs based on Student Preferences and Student Availability.

If Jenny Smith is an Actor and is assigned to be Dorothy, what other Job could she have in this Production, if any?

I'm not trying to over complicate the situation, I really want you to be clear on who is or can be assigned to what Job, and once assigned, could the Student have additional assignments?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom