DLookup Error (1 Viewer)

kbreiss

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:11
The following code below is producing this error....

"The macro of function set to the BeforeUpdate or ValidationRule property for this field is preventing Microsoft Access from saving the data in the field"

I know its blowing up on setting cboEventLocation.text But I don't know why. Any ideas?

txtEventAddress = DLookup("Location_Address", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")
txtEventCity = DLookup("Location_City", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")
medEventZip = DLookup("Location_Zip", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")
cboEventCounty.SetFocus
cboEventCounty.Text = DLookup("Location_County", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")
________
Oregon marijuana dispensary

Last edited:

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:11
It is probably the SetFocus you are using (which is necessary to mess with the Text property). What are you trying to accomplish? I assume we are in the BeforeUpdate event of the cboLocation ComboBox. Why not use the AfterUpdate event or the LostFocus event and Set the Focus where you need after leaving the cbo.

kbreiss

Registered User.
Local time
On Click

The code is in the On_Click event...I just tried it on the afterupdate event and I receive the same error...any suggestions?

Private Sub cboLocation_AfterUpdate()

'look up address
txtEventAddress = DLookup("Location_Address", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")
txtEventCity = DLookup("Location_City", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")
medEventZip = DLookup("Location_Zip", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")
cboEventCounty.SetFocus
cboEventCounty.Text = DLookup("Location_County", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = cboLocation ")

End Sub
________
HALF-BAKED

Last edited:

kbreiss

Registered User.
Local time
A bit more information...
the cboEventCounty the row source for this is

SELECT DISTINCTROW [tblCounty].[ID], [tblCounty].[County] FROM [tblCounty] order by [tblCounty].[County];

So there is actually two columns in this cbo...would this make a difference?
________
Waterbongs

Last edited:
R

Rich

Why are you using DLookups at all? A query or even a calculated control would be far better and faster

richary

Registered User.
Local time
Try

txtEventAddress = DLookup("Location_Address", "tblLocation", "Location_Name = " & "'" & cboLocation & "')"

Agree with Rich, though. DLookups are usually to be avioded, if poss

kbreiss

Registered User.
Local time
Will try a query instead...I'm not familiar w/ dlookup, but that is good to know.
________
Slow Deepthroa

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom