Colors in dropdown selections? (1 Viewer)

vidus

Confused User
Local time
Yesterday, 20:35
One of our dropdown selection boxes is for shipping color, which is used for color coordinating different shipments. What we want to do is change the color of the selection in the dropdown box according to the color selected, so red would be red text (or background), green would be green etc. Just to have things a little more visually easier to see.

So far I cant figure out how to change just the individual selections in the dropdown... is it possible?

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
You can't do that with the native combo box control and I don't know of any third party ActiveX controls which might be able to do it.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:35
in the controls after update event you could have

combobox.bgcolor = vbgreen or
combobox.bgcolor = vbred

note that i find that only white on red, and white on blue, white on mauve look acceptable

black on yellow, lightblue etc look ok

green always seems to look bad

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
in the controls after update event you could have

combobox.bgcolor = vbgreen or
combobox.bgcolor = vbred

note that i find that only white on red, and white on blue, white on mauve look acceptable

black on yellow, lightblue etc look ok

green always seems to look bad

You can change it based on the selection, yes - but you can't have each color listed in the combo by its color and when you go to select another color the previous color would still be the color for all of the listings until you selected another color. Somehow I don't think that's quite what the OP wanted Dave :)

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:35
Just to re-enforce what SOS said, every item is going to be the color of the last selected item. You cannot have "red" displayed as red, "blue" displayed as blue, and so forth!

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Just to re-enforce what SOS said, every item is going to be the color of the last selected item. You cannot have "red" displayed as red, "blue" displayed as blue, and so forth!

Thanks for the extra reinforcement Linq. It may help get the message across (we can only hope :D )

vidus

Confused User
Local time
Well.. thats disapointing.. but thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
All is not lost, you could do something along the lines of what is displayed the image provided. I use this control quite alot for visual effect.

David

Attachments

• Combo.JPG
    Combo.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 155

vidus

Confused User
Local time
All is not lost, you could do something along the lines of what is displayed the image provided. I use this control quite alot for visual effect.

David

This would work well.. i could just supply a small gif of the color selected. Where can I find more information about how this is set up? :D

vidus

Confused User
Local time

David

Looked into this ctcombo... its a $399 extension!!! really not worth some images. If anyone else has any suggestions were all ears!

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Hey I did not say it was free. Anyway you just don'r get that there are 80+ other controls that come in the package. I am not endorsing them in any way, far from it, but I simply told you of a control that I use.

David

Endre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:35
Have you tried Microsoft Image Combo Box as ActiveX? Works great - you have icons displayed before the text.....see attached.

If you have VBA questions to populate let me know.

Attachments

• comboimage.JPG
    comboimage.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 176

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom