Make Access Ribbon Creator (1 Viewer)

marianne

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:47
At the beginning, I really hate access 2007 because of Ribbon. It is so complicated for me to create menubar and toolbars. But I suppose I have no choice at the moment coz I need so of its features. And so I studied how to make it manually.

Last night as I studied it, it follows some syntax and parts of ribbon. I learn some of them last night. And so I decided to make my own access ribbon creator with access itself. But as I said, I learned only few of its syntax and parts.

Can anybody share their knowledge of the ribbons syntax and ribbon parts. I have manage to search in the internet but I dont know if they are complete. I got some from access-freak.

Somehow last night after studying the ribbon process, I can say generally "WOW I like it !"

I have seen ribbon customizers in the internet but they are paid softwares.

Somehow, I also dont get it, why Microsoft did not create an add-in for ribbon customizer since this is their product. Why should a third-party must create it and another paid software. So many outlay of cash now...hahaha. Just a thought.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:47
Somehow, I also dont get it, why Microsoft did not create an add-in for ribbon customizer since this is their product. Why should a third-party must create it and another paid software. So many outlay of cash now...hahaha. Just a thought.

I realize that I'm not answering your question - just raising a new one.

I think that most of us were taken by surprise with the inability to easily modify menus as we were for the past 10 years and Microsoft does not seem to consider this a priority for Access 2010 (Clint Covington posted on a blog that this is not a problem because there exist 3rd party tools to address it! I can't think of any other "upgrade" to a product that removes basic functionality that isn't considered a problem because you can pay 3rd parties to rectify it).

My question is: with all the touting of Access 2010, what other basic functionality will they be removing but not telling us about? They will try to showcase all the fancy new gizmos in the new software but if they think it's a good idea to remove what we require so someone else can develop a solution for us to buy, I will definitely not be running out to buy Access 2010.

I apologize in advance if this is too far off topic.

SHADOW

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
There are already many third party tools to CREATE a new ribbon. And, in 2010 you can edit existing ones with a new built in feature.

My favorite 3rd party tool is from a MS Employee (I believe) - Clayton Hendricks and it is here.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
...And, in 2010 you can edit existing ones with a new built in feature.

Would this include the ability to edit a toolbar/menu bar that I created in a previous version of Access (e.g. XP or 2003)? Can I drag and drop commands like I've always been able to?

SHADOW

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Would this include the ability to edit a toolbar/menu bar that I created in a previous version of Access (e.g. XP or 2003)? Can I drag and drop commands like I've always been able to?

SHADOW

I can see where you are going with this, but again toolbars/menus from previous versions are still considered "old and out of date" and available from the Add-Ins tab. So, no you cannot drag and drop commands like you've been able to do and I know you don't like that. I'm not thrilled with that either but things do change and this change is here to stay and so you can complain about it, but I do not see it doing any good.

So, you can either embrace the new methods, or fight against it and remain on the older versions. You don't have to upgrade - yet. You could remain on the older versions for years to come. There are still a lot of people using Access 97 out there (although they probably have some severe security holes due to it as there are no updates being created for them). Me, I want to go to 2010 for the new data macros and several of the other new features.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
I can see where you are going with this, but again toolbars/menus from previous versions are still considered "old and out of date" and available from the Add-Ins tab.

I see what you're saying. The problem is that possibly in the millions of databases were written using the Access 2000-2003 format and it's a shame to have to scrap the menus and completely rewrite them for more recent versions of Access. This is probably a problem to 3/4 of the people who post on this message board.

I think that hundreds of thousands of people found the same frustration when they wrote elaborate programs using VB versions 3-6, for example, and then found out that their highly complex work that took years and years to develop is now useless because Microsoft switched their VB to .NET. (No, the "converter" that's supplied doesn't really work :) )

So, no you cannot drag and drop commands like you've been able to do and I know you don't like that. I'm not thrilled with that either but things do change and this change is here to stay and so you can complain about it, but I do not see it doing any good.

I've said this before but I think this leaves many people scratching their heads trying to figure out why necessitating coding for something that previous versions allowed a drag and drop interface is considered an "upgrade". Does that mean that the next version of Windows will be DOS, just much slower? (that was sarcasm...not intended seriously for those people who didn't catch that)

There are still a lot of people using Access 97 out there (although they probably have some severe security holes due to it as there are no updates being created for them).

This is true, but people who switched from Access 97 to 2000, XP or 2003 didn't LOSE functionality that they used to have, and certainly didn't have to scrap huge sections of their applications to rewrite them using code. (Ok, I will confess that there were some funky thinks in Access 2000 that took years to patch and we all know about the flickering tabs in Access 2003 and the problems caused by the first few patches until the final patch that came out years later, but that's a different topic)

Me, I want to go to 2010 for the new data macros and several of the other new features.

I read the MS developer blog on Access 2010. There certainly does seem to be some attractive new features but as I said, I'm worried about what they will REMOVE when I get the new version. I was pretty surprised when I got Access 2007 and only then found out that I couldn't export Reports to Excel.

SHADOW

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I was pretty surprised when I got Access 2007 and only then found out that I couldn't export Reports to Excel.
Of course now that is back with SP2.

But, I know what you're saying and it would be nice if past functionality could be kept forever. Don't know that I would like to be a developer who had to always keep my previous versions working in future versions of my product. It could be a real pain to do so. So, think of it that way too. What if you had to maintain functionality of stuff forever. It could be a bit overwhelming and impossible to maintain. So, sometimes there has to be a "break."

And, I know you are saying that the removal of these things affect hundreds of thousands of users. Well, I would have to say that, perhaps there are. But maybe there aren't. Do you have a good source for your numbers? Can you prove it? Therein lies the problem because Microsoft has their own studies which show that it wasn't being used as much as you claim (not saying they are right, mind you) and therefore they acted upon what they have for their studies. Several of the changes got big boos from the MVP community. The ribbon was one of them.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Of course now that is back with SP2.

Ah...there's the problem. That means I went a year and change without something I was able to do before I switched to Access 2007. And as I say, what will I not be able to do when I buy Access 2010 if and until there's a second service pack sometime in 2012...?

...Don't know that I would like to be a developer who had to always keep my previous versions working in future versions of my product. It could be a real pain to do so. So, think of it that way too.

I would say that this would depend on whether it's a step "up" or a step "down". And I would regard having to code something I used to be able to drag and drop a step "down".

Do you have a good source for your numbers? Can you prove it?

Nope :)

It's completely based on a guess and intuition...I won't pretend otherwise.

The closest thing I would base a guess on (I know this is remote) is that I learned to program VB from a book by Peter Norton. He did cite in the forward of the book some statistic as to how many developers were estimated as using VB and the number was STAGGERING.

From there I applied complete conjecture that people who have written applications that have to be started from scratch would likely ruin someone's afternoon - even if it's 25% of those programmers, we're talking a very substantial number.

Therein lies the problem because Microsoft has their own studies which show that it wasn't being used as much as you claim (not saying they are right, mind you) and therefore they acted upon what they have for their studies. Several of the changes got big boos from the MVP community. The ribbon was one of them.

That's interesting. Do they make those studies available so I can see your source?

SHADOW

PS. When I posted my response, I realized that you were asking about the Access developers, not the VB developers. My guess of hundreds of thousands was with regard to VB, not Access. I don't even claim to guess numbers with regard to Access.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
That's interesting. Do they make those studies available so I can see your source?
Nope, they don't. We just get told info as part of the product group interaction with MVP's. So, I can't really support or refute either their statement or your statement. But it is clear that neither comes together.

So, anyway - life is what it is and MS is what it is and we either use their stuff or not. If we do, we play by their rules. If we don't like it, we find something else to use; for right or wrong.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Now the question is if Marianne will come after me with a baseball bat for diverting her thread WAY off topic!

SHADOW

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Now the question is if Marianne will come after me with a baseball bat for diverting her thread WAY off topic!

SHADOW

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:47
Hi

I bought a book "RibbonX" and learned ribbon in just a few days. It seemed quite easy to understand the xml and as long as you keep it organized, easy to track.

I needed a dynamic menu to change everytime my subform source changed as I couldn't have my ribbon per form due to the fact my whole app is a one form app with changing subforms.

The vba was simple enough. I created my groups in the ribbon and they all called a getvisible function to determine when the menu was visible.

In just a few days from scratch, I had a menu that was completely dynamic, had editboxes, combo boxes that updated to add the record in a list when a record was added, multi tree split buttons and updated text etc etc

as long as you remember to invalidate the ribbon to force to update change.

I really like the ribbon. 2 good tools are -

avus gunter www.accessribbon.de
pschmidt ( google it )

I posted an example recently in
modules of a timed toggle button.

I have a plan to build a ribbon tool. I've created various parts for myself but never managed to get the time to put it all together. I will soon, once my long time app is finally completed!

Ns

marianne

Registered User.
Local time
Wow, yes I can see you have your opinion all over this post Shadow9449 but that is ok because previously when I am very rebellious towards ribbon I have also done so many post of not wanting it. I agree with you that it was much more easier back then using drag and drop in create menus and toolbars but after awhile, it came to my mind what Bob exactly stated here in post number 9.

To Bob Larson:

I have tried using clayton ribbon customizer and it was not that extensive.

Thought I admit that this is microsoft product and we have choice if we use it or not, but I think it is also true that microsoft is creating product for profit. So it follow, without its customers, there will be no profit. Therefore, it is also be considered what its customers wants and needs to reach its profit goals. Though I cannot do something for 2007, however for 2010 version, I have suggested in their 2010 blog, if ribbon is to stayin the current and future version, then microsoft should provide its customers add-in tool to create the ribbon and not burden the customers to buy 3rd party tools which is suppose to be their product and if it is possible, let the customer of the product to have an option in the access option to either use the ribbon or the classic menu. Thereby a win-win solution.

To NigelShaw:

I have also tried those two tools you mentioned here from avus gunter www.accessribbon.de and pschmidt.

------------------------------------------

Actually I have probably googled everything and tested it myself. However, I can see that they are not that extensive and so as I have been studying it, I realized that the ribbon has its parts and syntax to follow. That is why I ask from our forum maybe someone may extend their knowledge regarding:

1. WHAT ARE THE PARTS OF THE RIBBON?
2. WHAT ARE THE COMPLETE SET OF XML SYNTAX

However, I can see that the two above were not yet given answers but rather third party tools and opinions only.

I am planning to make my own ribbon customizer using access but I need the two above because I still lack parts of those two.

Last edited:

marianne

Registered User.
Local time
referring to post number 14 ...................... up

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Hi marriane

hunters site has lots of good demos showing ribbon examples however, I will later today put a good description down of what's included in the xml construction.

One thing you need to consider when building your tool is to check that the xml command hasn't already been placed in the line as this will error. For example-

Code:
<buttonId="1754" ImageMso="AddAtendee" Size="large" onAction="RunMyFunction" GetVisible="GetVisible" >
would probably work whereas
example-

Code:
<buttonId="1754" ImageMso="AddAtendee" Size="large" onAction="RunMyFunction" GetVisible="GetVisible" GetVisible="GetVisible" 
>
would fail yet be easily create if there wasn't a good trap in place to check the string build as it went along.

There are lots of things you can do with ribbon. You can even extend the length of the edit boxes if needed

regs

nigel

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Marianne,

sorry for the delay, been really busy with a few projects etc etc.

below is an outline of creating ribbon Xml and related VBA callbacks.

any questions, give me a shout :)

start of ribbon

Code:
<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">

start of ribbon with OnLoad command calling VBA callback
Code:
onLoad="OnRibbonLoad">

load a ribbon with existing application ribbon tabs
Code:
<ribbon startFromScratch="false">

load a ribbon with only your custom ribbon tab
Code:
<ribbon startFromScratch="true">

change any office menu items
Code:
<officeMenu>
<menu id="rxmnu" imageMso="CreateModule" itemSize="large" label="About" title="About">
	<button id="rxbtnAbout" imageMso="FileSendAsAttachment" label="About screen"/>
</menu>
</officeMenu>

add a tab
Code:
<tabs>

create a tab ID
Code:
<tab id="7566543b"

optional to use a VBA callback ( see bottom for VBA examples )
Code:
getLabel="onGetLabel">

full tab string would be
Code:
<tab id="945645545" getLabel="onGetLabel"> ( make sure you Id's are unique )

create a group or many groups within a tab using VBA callback
Code:
<group id="grpOne" getLabel="OnGetLabel">

create a group or many groups within a tab using hard type entry
Code:
<group id="grpOne" label="News">

add a label using a VBA callback
Code:
<labelControl id="lblWelcome" getLabel="onGetLabel"/>
<labelControl id="lblToday" getLabel="onGetLabel"/>
<labelControl id="lblRegister" getLabel="onGetLabel"/>

add a label using hard type entry
Code:
<labelControl id="lblWelcome" Label="My Label content"/>

add a split button with hard type entry
Code:
<splitButton id="745545455" size="large">
	<button id="947564534" imageMso="AddOrRemoveAttendees" label="My Main Label" onAction="VBAFunction"/>
		<menu id="ContMenu1" itemSize="large">
			<button id="7657555775" imageMso="DistributionListAddNewMember" label="My Label 1" onAction="VBAFunction"/>
			<button id="8685556752" imageMso="DirectRepliesTo" label="My Label 2" onAction="VBAFunction"/>
			<button id="2757345745" imageMso="DistributionListRemoveMember" label="My Label 3" onAction="VBAFunction"/>							</menu>
		</menu>
</splitButton>

add a label control
Code:
<labelControl id="lblSelect" getLabel="onGetLabel"/>
				<comboBox id="656464646"
    				sizeString="WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"
    				onChange="cboSelect_Click"
    				getItemID="cboSelect_getItemID"
    				getItemCount="cboSelect_getItemCount"
   				getItemLabel="cboSelect_getItemLabel"/>

determine the character length of the dropdown box
Code:
sizeString="WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

create a single button
Code:
<button id="7657555775" imageMso="DistributionListAddNewMember" label="My Label 1" onAction="VBAFunction"/>

create a separator
Code:
<separator id="sepP400b" />

making groups visible & invisible
Code:
<group id="GrpOne" label="Reports"  getVisible="GetVisible">

</group>

</tab>
		</tabs>
	</ribbon>
</customUI>

to make large icons, use
Code:
size="large"
and
Code:
itemSize="large" on menus

omitting this will give you a small icon.

always balance out the xml sections for example

at the very top, you will have
Code:
<customUI>
<ribbon>

everything with the ribbon should be included in these so at the very bottom, place

Code:
</ribbon>
</customUI>

every group
Code:
<group>
should be balanced with
Code:
</group>

every tab
Code:
<tab>
should be balanced with
Code:
</tab>

every menu
Code:
<menu>
should be balanced with
Code:
</menu>

every splitbutton
Code:
<splitButton>
should be balanced with
Code:
</splitButton>

notice the capitalization.

splitButton is NOT the same as splitbutton or Splitbutton or SplitButton

VBA callbacks

set up your OnRibbonLoad

'this goes in your public module or at the top of your module
Code:
Public gobjRibbon As IRibbonUI

'any ribbon groups you want to control the visibilty of needs to be made public
'this is then controlled via the GetVisible sub
Code:
Public bolGrpOne As Boolean
Public bolGrpTwo As Boolean
Public bolGrpThree As Boolean
Public bolGrpFour As Boolean

Code:
Public Sub OnRibbonLoad(ribbon As IRibbonUI)
    'Callbackname im XML File "onLoad"

Call PopulateSelect

Set gobjRibbon = ribbon

'set the public boolean to your desired visibility options for loading the ribbon
	'this will be called by the GetVisible routine
    bolGrpOne = True 
    bolGrpTwo = True
    bolGrpThree = True
    bolGrpFour = False

End Sub

your xml calls the GetVisible routine

Code:
Public Sub GetVisible(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef visible)
    'Callbackname in XML File "getVisible"

Select Case control.ID

Case "GrpOne"
        visible = bolGrpOne

Case "GrpTwo"
        visible = bolGrpTwo

Case "GrpThree"
        visible = bolGrpThree

Case "GrpFour"
        visible = bolGrpFour

Case Else
        visible = True
    End Select
End Sub

if your ribbon is dynamic, it needs to be reset. use this routine to do that

Code:
Public Sub RibbonInvalidate()

gobjRibbon.InvalidateControl "GrpOne"
    gobjRibbon.InvalidateControl "GrpTwo"
    gobjRibbon.InvalidateControl "GrpThree"
    gobjRibbon.InvalidateControl "GrpFour"

End Sub

you can control the visiblity as you move through the ribbons by setting

Code:
  bolGrpOne = False 
    bolGrpTwo = False
    bolGrpThree = True
    bolGrpFour = True

Call RibbonInvalidate

set up specific menu routines that you want to show the ribbon groups

S
Code:
ub Menu1()

bolGrpOne = True 
    bolGrpTwo = False
    bolGrpThree = True
    bolGrpFour = True

Call RibbonInvalidate

End Sub

Sub Menu2()

bolGrpOne = False 
    bolGrpTwo = False
    bolGrpThree = False
    bolGrpFour = True

Call RibbonInvalidate

End Sub

Sub Menu3()

bolGrpOne = False 
    bolGrpTwo = True
    bolGrpThree = True
    bolGrpFour = True

Call RibbonInvalidate

End Sub

Sub Menu4()

bolGrpOne = False 
    bolGrpTwo = False
    bolGrpThree = False
    bolGrpFour = True

Call RibbonInvalidate

End Sub

set up the onGetLabel to fill the label text on the menus

Code:
Sub onGetLabel(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef label)

Select Case control.ID

'option 1 is calling a routine to get data
    Case "lblWelcome"
        label = GetWelcomeMessage()
	'option 2 is hard typed
	label = "My Label"

Case "lblToday"
        label = "Today is " & FormatDateTime(Date, vbLongDate)

Case "lblRegister"
        label = GetRegistered()

End Select

End Sub

Set up the get welcome message to populate a label

Code:
Public Function GetWelcomeMessage() As String
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb()
    Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblMyTable", dbOpenDynaset)
    If Not rst.EOF Then
        rst.MoveFirst
        LongName = Nz(rst!FirstName, "") & " " & Nz(rst!LastName, "")
    End If

GetWelcomeMessage = "Welcome " & LongName

rst.Close
    db.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
End Function

'this function is very similar to the the GetWelcomeMessage and is optional
'i used this to show in the ribbon if the program was registered or not

Code:
Public Function GetRegistered()
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb()
    Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblMyRegisterTable", dbOpenDynaset)

GetRegistered = rst!Registered

If rst!Registered.Value = False Then
        GetRegistered = "'30 DAY TRIAL'"
    Else
        GetRegistered = "Registered to " & rst!YourCompanyName
    End If

rst.Close
    db.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
End Function

'an option if you wanted to show register details in the main ribbon tab description

Code:
Public Function GetTabDesc()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim strCompName As String

Set db = CurrentDb
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("tblMyRegisterTable", dbOpenDynaset)

bolGetTabDesc = rs!Registered
strCompName = rst!YourCompanyName

rs.Close
db.Close
Set rs = Nothing
Set db = Nothing

If bolGetTabDesc = False Then
GetTabDesc = "Trial Version"
Else
GetTabDesc = "Registered to" & strCompName
End If

End Function

'to populate a dynamic listbox whereas a new record will be forced into the ribbon listbox

Code:
Public bolList As Variant

This gathers the data
Code:
Sub PopulateSelect()

Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim lngLoopCount As Long

Set db = CurrentDb()
    Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblMyTable", dbOpenTable)

On Error Resume Next
    lngLoopCount = 0
    With rst
        If .EOF Then .MoveFirst
        glngItemCount = .RecordCount
        ReDim bolList(glngItemCount - 1)
        Do While Not (.EOF)
            bolList(lngLoopCount) = ![CompanyName].Value
            .MoveNext
            lngLoopCount = lngLoopCount + 1
        Loop
    End With

rst.Close
    db.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    Set db = Nothing

Exit Sub

End Sub

This controls the click action
Code:
Sub cboSelect_Click(control As IRibbonControl, text As String)

Dim sCName As String
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

sCName = "[CompanyName] = '" & text & "'"
    Forms![mainform].SetFocus

With Forms![mainform]
        Set rs = .RecordsetClone
        rs.FindFirst sCName
        If Not rs.NoMatch Then
        .Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

Else
            If MsgBox("The listbox item you have entered is not listed. would you like to add it?", vbYesNo, "messagebox description") = vbYes Then
            AddListBoxItem ' or whatever routine you have to add a new record related to the listbox contents
            Exit Sub

End If
        End If
    End With

End Sub
'these are not altered at all but are required to make the above populate the listbox

Code:
Sub cboSelect_getItemCount(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef returnedVal)
    returnedVal = glngItemCount

End Sub

Sub cboSelect_getItemID(control As IRibbonControl, index As Integer, ByRef ID)
    ID = "itemcboSelect" & index
End Sub

Sub cboSelect_getItemLabel(control As IRibbonControl, index As Integer, ByRef returnedVal)
    returnedVal = bolList(index)

End Sub

I have attached a really good tool to select and copy the built in Msos that are available. its easy enough, browse the tabs, select the image you want and the whole xml is copied to the clipboard. you have to keep the .doc in the same location as the db file for it to work.

if someone could make this into a plugin or addon, that would be great.

if you require anything else, please let me know and i'll see if can help further.

Nigel

Attachments

• UI.zip
    220 KB · Views: 3,258

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Hi marianne

did anything above help you?

Nigel

Pac-Man

Local time
Today, 18:47
Great post. @NigelShaw can we use different fonts for labels of controls on custom ribbon?

Regards,
Abdullah

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom