Urgent!! How do I fill in a form control based on data in a combo box (1 Viewer)

Gram123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:53
I realise this has been answered, but I didn't undrestand the answer!
I have to program a database at work which must include lots of fields that have a code number and a name, for example, Ship Number and Ship Name.
I have a Main table containing all required fields on the form and a second table containing all possible ship names and numbers.

On the form, I have a combo box based on the Ships Table. It displays both columns, so the person entering the data can click the drop-down box and select the code if they know the ship name. I need the ship name to then enter automatically in an adjacent text box. Assuming the form is called Ships, how do I do this?

On a database programmed by someone else, they use a subform, but I've never had to use subforms, and it doesn't seem to work when I try importing it and substituting names.
Can I achieve this auto-fill without a subform?
Do I need to create a query for the Ship Name text box?

Please answer in a step-by step way, because although I work as a I.T. guy, I have learned Access without any documentation and don't understand some of the terms used!

BarkerD

Registered User.
Local time
Place this code in the Before Update Event of the combo box. Set the Combobox Limit to List Property to Yes

If Isnull(Me.CombControlName) = True Then
'Do nothing
Exit Sub

Else

Dim rst as DAO.Recordset
Dim db as DAO.Database
Dim strSQL as String

Set db=CurrentDB

'If code field is numeric
strSQL="SELECT * FROM [SecondTableName] WHERE [codeFieldName] = " & Me.ComboControlName & ";"

'If code field is text
strSQL="SELECT * FROM [SecondTableName] WHERE [codeFieldName] = """ & Me.ComboControlName & """;"

Set rst=db.OpenRecordset(strSQL,dbOpenSnapshot)
me.TxtBoxtoFillControlName=rst![ShipName]
'Repeat for as many fields as required.
rst.close

Set rst=Nothing
Set db=Nothing

End IF

There may be simpler ways to do this, but I am also self taught, and I know this way best.

*Chuckles*

Duane Barker

Gram123

Registered User.
Local time
WHAT?!?!

I don't understand SQL or whatever this is!

I urgently need a simple answer of how I can do this on a form in Microsoft Access 97, using the controls I mentioned in the first msg.

Please help!!!

Please e-mail me wiht any answers to:
graham.cat@hslltd.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom