Managing knowledge that is used infrequently (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 01:44
Yep. Just what the title says.

I find it very difficult sometimes to acquire all of the knowledge one needs to work in technology, only to be able to relay it to someone less fortunate than I, only 1 time in a month (if even that!). I don't think people realize the amount of work it takes just to do a simple thing like that. Does anyone else have this problem?

It is especially difficult for me, because I have very little experience working in a networked enviornment where I can collaborate with people on the different problems that can come up in various situations... :rolleyes:

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:44
I guess this points to the dictum of 'Documentation'. If you document what you do, you should be able to do it again next time the problem infrequently pops up.

My problem is in remembering where the hell I saved the document!

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Amen to that David.

Now, where the hell did I file that tax return at? :rolleyes:

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 23:44
i thimk we all suffer from this..

I was asked to write an idiot guide on software(Excell can you belive it..) -
at which point, i commented , I'll show you and the bits you don't understand or use often you write it down - that way you only need to refer back on x items , rather than me write a whole set of notes on stuff that in a week you know inside out (except the weird stuff) - and espcially with my spelling skills ..lol - ind you this was for a company whole had just got pc's 15 years ago

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 06:44
Someone asked me once to write Access stuff they didn't know - I didn't know what they didn't know, neither did they know what they didn't know.

Col

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Someone asked me once to write Access stuff they didn't know - I didn't know what they didn't know, neither did they know what they didn't know.
Colin, do you realize how close your comment is to Dane's famous quote in Under Siege 2??? :p

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Colin, do you realize how close your comment is to Dane's famous quote in Under Siege 2??? :p

No idea. I know it's close to 'Yes Minister' when he (Jim Hacker) wanted Sir Humphrey to tell him what he didn't know.

Someone actually did ask me to do it.

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
No idea.

Col

Col

Let me get this straight - does this mean you don't know about not knowing what someone else didn't know that you also didn't know or don't know about who said what about not knowing what they didn't know? I'm confused. :confused:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col

Let me get this straight - does this mean you don't know about not knowing what someone else didn't know that you also didn't know or don't know about who said what about not knowing what they didn't know? I'm confused. :confused:

I don't know what someone doesn't know, they don't know what they don't know - therefore if neither of us don't know what is not known then it's difficult to know what to do.

See?

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
I don't know what someone doesn't know, they don't know what they don't know - therefore if neither of us don't know what is not known then it's difficult to know what to do.

See?

Col

I didn't know that, you know.

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Does yur doeg bite ?

Sorry I think you've finally lost the plot Ron, I repeat my offer of the reservation in the rest home for the terminally groovy. This is nothing to do with dogs. It's about knowing what there is to know about what you and/or someone else does or doesn't know but don't know whether they know it or not - you know?:D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
In the thread on one liners etc I posted this saying by a Maths master at my old grammar school, I think it applies here Adam

There is knowledge but more importantly there is knowledge of the knowledge

If you know of the knowledge you can seek it out, to try and remember all the detail of stuff infrequently used is impossible, just learn the Index:D

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

Col

Col
some people know so little they don't know how little they know.

Brian

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 07:44
Sorry I think you've finally lost the plot

Is there any that I need to know of ?

I repeat my offer of the reservation in the rest home

I reckon the know-how at that place is way above anyone's comprehension :rolleyes:

Besides, people there generally don't know how to handle know-how in
terms of managerial shareware knowledge. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom