Can't open 32 bit Access accdb file in Access x64 (1 Viewer)

Kowalski

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:27
Hi
I've installed Access 2010 64-bit (version 14.0.6112.5000).
But when I now try to open a form, report or module that that were created in Access 2010 x86, I get the error:

The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted...

Even when I try to create a new database and import the files, the same error appears.

Any ideas?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:27
If it is possible to uninstall the 64 bit version of office and go with the 32 bit version, that would be best. Very few addins are available for the 64 bit version of Office and the only "benefit" to using the 64 bit version is humongous spreadsheets and I question the benefit in that. Make sure you have applied all OS and Office updates. The original release was buggy.

There is a significant change you'll need to make to any Access apps and that is you'll need to change any API code so that it uses properly typed arguments. Once you make the change, the apps will no longer work with 32 bit versions so there is a compatibility issue. Plus, it is not possible to use 32 bit Access if you have 64 bit Office. The army calls this a SNAFU.

Kowalski

Registered User.
Local time
I think I agree with your issues that the 64 bit is not worth while. Sadly, in my case some of our clients are running the 64-bit version and I need to test, change and recompile. Can't force them to change just to use our app. Thanks for reply.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am dreading that day myself. I don't want to have to maintain two versions of the application.

Kowalski

Registered User.
Local time
Will there ever be a Service Pack that will fix these issues? Otherwise maintaining 2 apps will be the future very soon.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't see how a service pack could fix the problem. It is a fundamental difference between addressing schemes that required changing the data types of certain arguments. It might be fixable with conditional compilation but I haven't played around with it since I don't have a 64 bit version of Office installed anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom