Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:58
Well apparently I'm both insane and immoral if I dare disagree with him. But apart from that, does anyone else sense Ted Nugent would like to use his guns for a little more than just self-defense?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soH2S9ZHeWE

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 07:58
However, I do see some cause for concern here. "Anyway" should have a comma after, otherwise it doesn't come across as a complete sentence. The first sentence of the bottom paragraph is a run-on without a proper conjunction. A semicolon or the use of ", and" would have been more appropriate. You also went double on the "a" before consequence.

I'm just a lowly American. What do I know of grammar? I'm sure you are actually correct.

No, you are correct about the comma, it was an error on my part. You are also correct about the run-on paragraph.

You will notice I do this regularly, but only on these forums. Personally, if I see a rambling text with no paragraph breaks, I can't be arsed to read it. But if it is broken into smaller slices, I do read it. It may not be grammatically correct, as you rightly pointed out, but to Americans and others whose first language is not English, it makes it easier to read and understand.

Libre, if you think my posts are condescending etc. to Americans, you should have been on these forums in 2003 when warmongering GWB invaded Iraq. Nowadays, the the American mods here are over zealous and ban people for too quickly. Those good old days are gone and these forums are sterile.

Col

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 02:58
Dear Col-
It might amaze you to learn that we Americans are not just millions of identical clones of each other.
I note the frequent condescending remarks and digs in your posts, about America and Americans. And yet nobody calls you to task about your statements.
I had thought - or at least hoped - that we had evolved to a point that everyone understood that you can't tell what's in a person, just by knowing their birthplace. That who a man IS is more important than where he is FROM.
Apparently this lesson has been lost on you.
And while you cluck your tongue at all the violence in America, let's all contemplate the history of Europe and just how peaceful and tolerant all the non-Americans have proved themselves to be.

Well said!

Adam Caramon

Local time
I said that taking guns away from everyone was the wrong answer and you imply that I wasn't thinking but merely being a knee-jerk reactionary.

No, I was not implying, I was asking. Some people don't bother to read a thread, particularly if it is longer, before they post their own comments. Therefore I was questioning if your previous post was a reaction to this thread, or to the situation in general.

But nobody wants to do the right thing and make the commitments needed to help troubled kids. If the kids aren't troubled then they won't shoot up a school or something equally tragic.

No one can agree on how you help troubled kids. I don't think there is even a set criteria for what makes a kid troubled. I've read a few articles recently where people are saying that the reason that these things happen is that the government has taken god out of schools. Presumably, those people would think one of the ways to help troubled kids would be to put god back in schools. Many others would strongly disagree.

NO that wasn't a knee-jerk reaction and I am insulted that you would that it was purely reactionary. I tried to give a thoughtful comment or two and you dismissed it casually. On something this important, trust me that I wasn't being flippant or dismissive. On the other hand, you appeared EXACTLY that way.

You read way more into my question than was intended.

On the other hand, they don't raise nearly so much of a squawk about movies about assassins and hit men and wars. So the prudes must want us to be fighters, not lovers. Society is inconsistent and then wonders why we get kids who know violence but not love.

That is the way of capitalism. Money is king. If violent movies make money, then there will be a lot of violent movies. Society cannot be consistent because society is a collection of all individuals. As individuals, we have different morals, ethics, and beliefs. And those morals, ethics, and beliefs frequently change. It wasn't all that long ago that Rock n Roll was considered evil.

ChE

Local time
Today, 01:58
Its about mental illness and personal responsibility not firearms. Banning firearms will work like prohibition and the war on drugs did .....IT WON'T! But suppose it did work. Suppose that all the bad guys and all the law abiding citizens turned in their guns (which will never happen but just thinking hypothetically). Then the only people or entity with guns would be the government. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. How many governments throughout the course of history have turned their guns on their citizens to control them? Just my 2 cents. :banghead:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Its about mental illness and personal responsibility not firearms. Banning firearms will work like prohibition and the war on drugs did .....IT WON'T! But suppose it did work. Suppose that all the bad guys and all the law abiding citizens turned in their guns (which will never happen but just thinking hypothetically). Then the only people or entity with guns would be the government. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. How many governments throughout the course of history have turned their guns on their citizens to control them? Just my 2 cents. :banghead:

Amen, and amen!

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 16:58
How can you posibily think that your brothers and sisters of the us armed forces would shoot their own.

But if they did what makes you think that a rabble of idiots are going to beat them.

You must be certifable to believe that rot.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
How can you posibily think that your brothers and sisters of the us armed forces would shoot their own.

But if they did what makes you think that a rabble of idiots are going to beat them.

Read about the American Revolution!

Adam Caramon

Local time

Or just be told it from a young age, and then see it reinforced in books, movies, and other non-mainstream sources. In my state alone, there is a militia that stockpiles weapons and such.

When President Obama was elected, there was a lot of talk among these groups of "taking back our country". These people truly believe that one day the government is going to turn evil and they're going to have to fight back.

It is akin to a religious faith really - it doesn't make any logical sense, but good luck convincing them otherwise.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Or just be told it from a young age, and then see it reinforced in books, movies, and other non-mainstream sources. In my state alone, there is a militia that stockpiles weapons and such.

When President Obama was elected, there was a lot of talk among these groups of "taking back our country". These people truly believe that one day the government is going to turn evil and they're going to have to fight back.

It is akin to a religious faith really - it doesn't make any logical sense, but good luck convincing them otherwise.

What do you mean "One Day" it already is evil.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

RainLover

Local time
Read about the American Revolution!
Well I just did to make sure I was on the right track.

This war was started by the American people not the government of the time.
The Government was of course the non-democratic government of Great Britton. The people of America won the war and started one of the first democratically elected governments of the world.

Since then there has never been a war between the government and its people. This applies to all democratically elected governments through out the world. There has also never been a war between two democratically elected countries.

So your idea that you one day may be called upon to save the world will just not happen.

If you are truly worried then turn your thoughts to the war you are currently having within your own country where foreigners are slowly but surely working on ways to use your own laws against yourself in order to take control.

My research. http://www.shmoop.com/american-revolution/summary.html

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Well I just did to make sure I was on the right track.

This war was started by the American people not the government of the time.
The Government was of course the non-democratic government of Great Britton. The people of America won the war and started one of the first democratically elected governments of the world.

Since then there has never been a war between the government and its people. This applies to all democratically elected governments through out the world. There has also never been a war between two democratically elected countries.

So your idea that you one day may be called upon to save the world will just not happen.

If you are truly worried then turn your thoughts to the war you are currently having within your own country where foreigners are slowly but surely working on ways to use your own laws against yourself in order to take control.

My research. http://www.shmoop.com/american-revolution/summary.html

My point exactly: you just proved my point. Without guns the colonies would not have been able to overthrow the tyrannically British.

RainLover

Local time
My point exactly: you just proved my point. Without guns the colonies would not have been able to overthrow the tyrannically British.

Wait on Dick.

You said that the government would turn their guns against the people.

What I said about the "American Revolution" was the exact opposite where the people turned against the Government.

You can't change your stance from one post to the next.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Wait on Dick.

You said that the government would turn their guns against the people.

What I said about the "American Revolution" was the exact opposite where the people turned against the Government.

You can't change your stance from one post to the next.

Not necessarily. It doesn't matter if guns were involved, they felt oppressed by their government. I think you are both essentially stating the same thing.

RainLover

Local time

Adam,

I can understand that. There are countries where their hatred is so inbred that they have brought that hatred to Australia. Even though they have never fought against each other they have been taught all their life that the others are evil.

It is not a good idea to go to a Soccer match when teams like this meet.

In my younger days I dated a girl from Croatia. I never meet her dad because I am white Australian. So if I was a Serb I would have the whole family after me. All because of the passing down of hatred.

RainLover

Local time
Not necessarily. It doesn't matter if guns were involved, they felt oppressed by their government. I think you are both essentially stating the same thing.

That is not my understanding.

One is where the people declare war on the Government. (This happened against the British)

The other is the American troops turning their guns on the American people which is what Dick wants to defend against. (I don't believe this would ever happen because you have a thing called elections. This is your way of changing a government, not guns.

RainLover

Local time
I asked a question in post # 604.

The question was about a safety valve to prevent the President turning against the people.

Is there a politically educated American who can answer the question asked in that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom