MS Access 2007- Migration : Need suggestions (1 Viewer)

sri123

Local time
Today, 14:38
Hello Everyone,
We have an Access Application built on Access 2007.
This is built in Split Data Architecture, The backend sits on the shared drive and the front-end is on Users Machine.

As a matter of security our organization has decided to move the back-end data to SQL SERVER or ORACLE.

Also the new Office 365 is going to come around in few months.

Plan is to keep the front-end still in Access and move the back-end to some other platform.

Questions:
Moving Back-end to Oracle is technically good option? as the enterprise standard is Oracle platform in our organization.

Once the back-end is moved, How does Office 365 will have impact on our application (the front-end)

What are the steps involved to upgrade to new office 365,
for example, the Application is already on users machine which Access 2007, in a week the organization is uninstalling the Office 2007 and installing Office 365.
When the user opens the App on Office 365, will it work?

As a developer do we need to do any pre-work on this?

Today, the application is working perfectly with around 100 users.

Please let me know your experiences and valuable thoughts, as this is going to be a challenging task for me.

Any help or information is highly appreciated.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:38
Moving Back-end to Oracle is technically good option?
no reason why not, you'll no doubt need to rewrite some queries and code and for optimisation, move some queries to server side processing. If your current db uses field types (such as lookup) which don't exist in Oracle, these will need to be changed. There is an Access upsizing wizard for SQL server, I don't think it exists for Oracle (although I seem to recall there is an importer which will pull the tables from Access)
When the user opens the App on Office 365, will it work?
maybe, maybe not - depends on how well the app is written
What are the steps involved to upgrade to new office 365,
don't know much about 365 so can't advise. I would expect main issues to be with code -I don't know whether Office 32bit/64bit will be an issue - particularly use of API's and some variable types (google ptrsafe and long/longptr data types). You'll also need to check early binding of things like excel and outlook - will 365 still support an earlier version? - I would expect it to, but you need to check

As a developer do we need to do any pre-work on this?
As a matter of urgency, I would get a machine using 365 and try to run the app. You'll then have time to address any issues before everyone moves to 365

sri123

Local time
Thank you very much for all your valuable thoughts.
Even I was thinking on the same lines, even before the 365 comes in, we have to test it thoroughly.
I will request for a pilot copy to be installed on test machine, to understand the behavior.

Meanwhile, If anyone has experiences using 365, please post.

One last question is, I hear Office 365 Access Application can be integrated with Sharepoint as a Web App. Does the Desktop and Integrated Sharepoint Access acts like same?
My Application has everything, tons of VBA code, Forms, reports, Macros, what not, all Access components.
Our Business will be very happy if this is integrated to sharepoint, but want to know if anyone has experience on using the same.

Thanks again for all your valuable thoughts.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Hi sri123,

I have a very complex app running with Access 2007. I tried Office 365 1-month test (you should do the same) and except for few guizmo's, it seems that 2013 is the same as 2007 (???). Anyway, the app performed normaly.
Wonder why you need macro's since every thing they do can be done with VBA (I like to control every function of an app...).

Good luck, JLCantara

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom