Animated gifs in Access form (1 Viewer)

geraldcor

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:51
Hi all,
I have a main form that is fairly slow to open. The users of this database get rather perterbed at this slowness that I can do nothing about. So as a sort of bandaid on the problem, or sugar coating I would like to make a little "progress bar" as it were using an animated gif or flash or something like that. The ideal way to do this would be to have it in a form so that when the slow form opens it closes the progress form. I don't know if this is possible. I have done very little research as I just thought of it. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to do this, in a form or otherwise. I figure this will at least give the users something nice to look at while they wait. Thanks for any info and I will also post anything I find out in case anyone is interested.
Greg

Kevin_S

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:51
Greg -

One thought - is your form slow to open because of a connection/network issue? If that is the case search this forum for "optimize", "database performance","db performance" as there are many posted tips to increase the speed with which your db operates.

Second - progress bar demos are all over the place on this forum - look in teh sample database thread and also do a search for "progress bar" as you'll get lots of demos to download/try/adapt/implement...

HTH,
Kev

geraldcor

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:51
Thanks for the reply.
I have been able to find some interesting things in this forum for progress bars.
The speed issue has been killing me for about 6 months. I can not figure it out for the life of me. I have searched and searched and searched and done everything I can. One day I may fix it when things slow down for me but for now I figured I'd do a "band aid" fix.
Thanks
Greg

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:51
What is the function of your main form?

What does it do?

Is the main form linked to a record source [table or query]? If so, are you loading all records from the source or only the ones the users need to work with?

Is your database split with the front end on each users hard drive [which is linked to the backend on a server]? If not, it should be.

Search the site for "animated GIF" and my user name "ghudson" for I have posted samples that show how to do it without using DLLs or ActiveX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom