Self-join not 100% working - please help (1 Viewer)

D

dash80

I'm trying to create a database of Publications (instruction manuals) where one publication is a modification to a parent modification. I'm storing all 'publications' in one table for better maintenance. This means that I have to use a Self-Join if I want to make one the parent, and one the child. Fundamentally this is no different than the Employee/Supervisor example I've found in many places:

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/self-join_query.html

I created a query with two copies of the same table with the 2nd one renamed for easier viewing. The query final comes up, but when I choose "ParentPub", it doesn't give me a drop down showing the other pubs so that I can choose one to be the parent.

What did I do wrong? I should be able to open up the table 'tblPubs', and get a drop down menu showing me all the pubs I can assign as a parent.

Thank you for your help,
Enrique

Attachments

• pubs test db.zip
    15 KB · Views: 95
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 100
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 103

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:41
Dash80,

What is it that you are trying to do, from the information above and the supplied database it is not very clear.

Alastair

D

dash80

Thanks for replying. I'll try to explain better.

I have a table named tblPubs. It contains records that correspond to a pub, or publication (a book). Types of publications can be instruction manuals, corrections to manuals, forms, etc. I'm attempting to use a self-join to correlate a correction to manual to an instruction manual. So, one pub is the parent of another pub. I'm creating a form that lets the user enter in data for new pubs, including allowing him to choose a parent pub from a listing of all the other pubs. Later I will use the information in the database to generate a listing that has pubs with parents shown in some kind of hierarchy. What I'm looking for is a way to get a self-join working along with a way to get my GUI to support it.

Thanks for your time.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:41
You don't want a combo to appear in your query. To do that you would have had to define it at the table level and this "feature" of Access is never used by professionals due to the confusion and problems it causes with VBA.

Add a combo to the form to get a list to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom