Protecting Header/Footer in Word 2007 (1 Viewer)

green

Local time
Today, 01:21
I am trying to figure out how to protect the header and footer of a company letterhead document using vba. How do I reference those parts of the document specifically and leave the rest of the document available for use by employees? Thanks in advance.

green

Local time
Thanks for your response, Trevor G. I am really looking to use vba coding to accomplish the protection. I have a form with loads on open. I use that to flood bookmarks. Now I want to lock the header and footer using code.

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:21
Ok thats fair enough, so why not record a macro when going through the steps of the link I sent, then you will have the code to add to your document.

green

Local time
I wasn't aware recording a macro created code. I'll check to see what I can figure out.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Just because I was curious. I tried recording the steps into a macro and it was fine until I acutally protected the document. But I looked at the help and it pretty clear how to to setup the protection using VBA.

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:21
Always worth looking to record a MACRO with a planned action then look a the code and use the debugger and help when needed.

Well done for figuring this out.

Perhaps posting the code to this thread will help others.

green

Local time
Thanks Trevor G and kelvray for your input. I was able to use the macro recorder to get part of what I needed and then added a line code to complete it. The solution is as follows:

1. Add section break at the top of the document. By default, this associates the first page header/footer with Section 1. (That is all I needed to protect.)
2. Include the following code lines:
ActiveDocument.Sections(1).ProtectedForForms = True
ActiveDocument.Sections(2).ProtectedForForms = False
ActiveDocument.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields
3. If you plan to use the same document again, it is necessary to unlock the document before edits are possible. (Passwords can be used both with .Protect and .Unprotect.)
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then ActiveDocument.Unprotect

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom