find string as a part of larger string (1 Viewer)

SDaccess24

Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
I am trying to find a string as part of a larger String. Is there any Access formula I can use?

Eg. Find..

ABCDEF in [ ASADFAG, ASDHJFSH, FHEWFH, ABCDEF, JKSDGFS]

There is no set count of characters that I can use a mid, left, right functions.

Any help is much Appreciated!

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Welcome to the forum. Check out the InStr() and Split() functions.

SDaccess24

Local time
Can you pleas help me with an example? I tried

InStr([Wells]![Invoice ID],[PeopleSoft]![Invoice])

[Wells]![Invoice ID],[--> Longer String
[PeopleSoft]![Invoice]) --> Shorter String that is part of the string mentioned above.

No Luck :-(

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Your best resource for functions like this are VBA help. Open a code window, click help, and use the search function in the help viewer. A nice alternative to this is find the function in the Object Browser, and right click it, which also offers a quick link to VBA help.

In VBA help you'll get a very thorough technical description of the method and its parameters.

Cheers,

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:40
instr returns the location of the start of the match

instr is normally non case-sensitive so

pos = instr("The cat in the hat","CAT") 'sets pos to 5.
pos = instr("The cat in the hat","CATCH") 'sets pos to zero

there is also instrrev which is useful if you are searching from the end of the string for say, a "\" path delimiter.

try

msgbox "match at position: " & InStr([Wells]![Invoice ID],[PeopleSoft]![Invoice])

(although I am not sure what your [wells] and [peoplesoft] declarations are trying to achieve?)

SDaccess24

Local time
Table 1: Wells

Table 2: Peoplesoft

Please see Picture attached for tables.

I am trying to have a Access function to find is Recond # 4 with invoice ID ABCDEF is present in the Peoplesft table and pull the corresponding Amount field.

I tried instr function and it is not working :-(

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Query.JPG
    Query.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Also, your tables 1 and 2 should be merged and you should add a field. Data in that field should be "PeopleSoft" or "Wells." I don't know if those are customers or what, but see how much easier your job would be then? All data having the same structure should be in the same table, and distinguishing features in that data should be stored in fields.

Finally, you are actually trying to find a string inside a larger string using SQL, which you did not mention, and in that case you want to look into the SQL "LIKE" operator. Instr() is VBA, and most useful for finding substrings in VBA code. Use the SQL LIKE operator to match substring data in fields in a table.

Hope this helps,

SDaccess24

Local time
All I am trying to do is an access query between the two tables. I want to find all values in the Peoplesoft table where Invoice ID field is present in the Invoice field on the Wells table. Sorry if I wasn't very specific earlier.

Attached are my two tables for reference.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Query.JPG
    Query.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 69

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:40
You have a bad design here.
This is why we have the Single To Many relations.

It can be solved with InStr() but you better redisgn your db

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:40
Puzzled as to why my link does not point at a solution to your problem, IE wild cards in joins.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom