Streamlining a rats nest of a database (1 Viewer)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:48
I'm looking for opinions on the easiest way to achieve a task

Some years back I inherited a database. It was obvious from the outset that it had various problems, but I've been too busy adding new reports for management and 'firefighting' small problems to do anything much about it. Now it looks like I might be able to spare some time on it, but where to start?

I know there are dozens of forms, queries, tables, etc. that are either not in use or should be improved (data isn't normalised in any way, for example). Is there some application anyone knows of that can automatically provide a list of at least some connections e.g. report A needs query B which gets data from tables D, E and F. I'd like to get a list of the items I can safely delete, without spending the time checking each item manually.

Once I've removed the superfluous stuff, I figure I can change the remaining queries and reports to the point where it'll allow me to change the table structues and normalise the data.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:48
Access has it's own "Analyze" function under Tools, I believe it will show which tables/fields are used on which forms etc. It's not brilliant but it's inbuilt and therefore free :)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks very much for that. At least it's a starting point.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Another interesting one, thanks a lot.

I think I'm going to delete the items I'm sure can be removed (maybe 10%), then see what I can find out with these two.

Much appreciated.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:48
I might make sure Name Autocorrect is off, then just rename them. That way if you find one is still needed, you can just change the name back. If some time passes and nobody squawks, then delete them. I rename to:

OldName20140811

so I know when I renamed it.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:48
Depending exactly what the dbs is, it may be easier to start again, using bits of the original.

Fixing a badly designed app can be a complete nightmare.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I'm with the big dog on this one. Star all over from scratch. I rebuilt and rebuilt and yet again rebuilt a system for 12 years.

Finally, I got the energy to start all over, and what immerged, was massively better than what had come before. Once I was interviewed by the TSA to fix a system they had in place for redacting documents. It was the worst broken database I had ever seen. The system made up for poor data structure with thousands of extra lines of code. Actually tens of thousands. The previous guys must have spent 2 years writing all that code. And, it still didn't make up for the structure deficit.

I code named it Phoenix, for out of the ashes, but they never changed it to anything else. So it's still there churning out a million pages a year of redacted sensitive information.

So, long story made not quite so long.

Start all over.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
If you have time, rebuild it right.
I have one approaching 200 tables now with a huge pile of "to do" list.
If we had all known then what we know now.
The business rules in the Regulatory area changed, the scope changed (e.g. connect to GIS), and so many things.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 07:48
And here is my 5-cent: if it works, don't mess with it.

You restructure it, you beautify it, you refiddle it, you polish it, and you have spent 50 or 200 hours, but functionally you still have the very same capabilities that you started off with. Can you justify this to whoever pays the bills or your loved ones, if you do it in your own time?

The urge to "make things proper" is pretty prevalent but mostly it is just a waste of effort and money. Move on - unless you have a clear-cut exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom