Starbucks is reviewing strict rule for no visible tatoos (1 Viewer)

Why is Starbucks evaluating the Tatoo and Dress Policy?

• More people with Tatoo will visit Starbucks instead of independents

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are most worried that the 30,000 petition could cost sales

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:08
Yeah, I completely missed the 'multiple choice' part too!

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:08
Why does the poll tell me this: "You cannot vote in this poll"

LewisCowles-CD2

Local time
Today, 12:08
Because of their potential customers??????? plus the tattoos have been in the past a visual sign that you are a BAD boy, Probably Dangerous and one to stay away form. Nowdays, so many kids have them, it is hard to tell who is the bad guys. Will tell you this, 95% of the jails in the US houses prisoners who have multiple tattoos and very few people who do not. Go Figure.

100% of convicted criminals in the UK are human... Flippin humans, lets ban them from starbucks... oh wait! Don't waste time making up rules to protect against people that have not yet done wrong, its stupid and people that want to do wrong will always find a way to do wrong, no matter the silly rules silly people make up.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
100% of convicted criminals in the UK are human... Flippin humans, lets ban them from starbucks... oh wait! Don't waste time making up rules to protect against people that have not yet done wrong, its stupid and people that want to do wrong will always find a way to do wrong, no matter the silly rules silly people make up.

OoooooooK....got us one of those live wires here?

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:08
Latest Update:
http://fortune.com/2014/09/17/walmart-starbucks-dress-code/
Looks like Retention cost (of re-hiring) is one of the larger drivers for considering this policy.

Here is a youtube video to help people with a fear of the number 666 on the forehead or Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.
(as discussed in having a tattoo with 666 several post earlier)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6RC0f-PhQ
I don't know why people think 666 is bad.
Had a girlfriend years ago who was 6 years 6 months and 6 days younger than me. Always remembered her birthday. That was a good thing. A good sweet young thing. ;)
No weird comments about me being 18! No, I was well past 30 then.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Latest Update:
http://fortune.com/2014/09/17/walmart-starbucks-dress-code/
Looks like Retention cost (of re-hiring) is one of the larger drivers for considering this policy.

Here is a youtube video to help people with a fear of the number 666 on the forehead or Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.
(as discussed in having a tattoo with 666 several post earlier)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6RC0f-PhQ
I don't know why people think 666 is bad.
Had a girlfriend years ago who was 6 years 6 months and 6 days younger than me. Always remembered her birthday. That was a good thing. A good sweet young thing. ;)
No weird comments about me being 18! No, I was well past 30 then.

Don't think that was what God meant by the number/name 666 but it does show the mindset of the people who think it is a joke and wear it on their person.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It should be the content of the tattoo that we are critical of rather than an encompassing idea that all tattoos have no place in the workplace. Just like I wouldn't expect an employee wearing a swashtika t-shirt to be working at Starbucks, I wouldn't expect an employee to have a (visible) swashtika tattoo. It's really not that complex.

As far as the customer base and their inclination to be offended by ANY tattoo, that's exactly what needs to change and why this change is good. It takes making a stance to force a change. If they decide to do this, good for them. I might actually start appreciating their over-priced burnt coffee.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
But who decides which tattoos are offensive ? I might object to a religious tattoo just as much as you do a swashtika.

Brian

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
But who decides which tattoos are offensive ? I might object to a religious tattoo just as much as you do a swashtika.

Brian
That's the risk you run, I guess. I've heard people avoiding shops because the staff were the 'wrong' colour, the 'wrong' nationality, too messy, had the 'wrong' accent. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like something about the place. I'm assuming Starbucks is fully aware of their target demographic, or they wouldn't even mention this. People offended by tattoos of any sort must be such a low percentage that they're worth losing?

Vassago

Local time

Brian

You can't please everyone. Alc pretty much expanded on what I would have explained. I'm certain that most people would be much more offended by a swashtika tattoo than a cross tattoo. What if we're talking about necklaces? If you were a business owner, would you be more likely to stop someone from wearing a cross pendant or a swashtika pendant? You do have to play to your crowd a bit, but my whole concept had more to do with content rather than the act of having a tattoo itself. Just having a tattoo or piercing should not be offensive and I think we are moving in the right direction with that in society.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I think that it is a bit glib to duck answering my question by saying that you cannot please everyone, you raised the issue of content.
The swastika , which what I presume you meant, is not offensive to some, Hindus and Buddhists spring to mind, and of course the Nazi symbol is a swastika turned clockwise 45 degrees. I have read and heard of Muslims being offended by the symbol of the cross, how widespread I don't know. I think your comment about it not being complex is a little simplistic.

Brian

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:08
Unless the Starbucks in in New Mexico, LOL Then it might lead to getting a job as a minority since it is the Good Luck symbol of the Navajo and Hopi tribes.

The guidelines might be tough and who would be the judge?
It was something like that leading to a lawsuit for a chain store called Hooters in the US. Something about consistent standards being applied to the workplace where skimpy uniforms were required on endowed women.
B.T.W. a block away from work (so I am told, that is my story and I am sticking to it... the story, not the Tilted Kilt ) there is the English version of Hooters called the Tilted Kilt. They claim "UK-inspired pub chain with kilt-clad waitresses serving fish 'n' chips & bar food. "
Thanks to this cultural site, we yanks didn't realize how very short those Kilts were suppose to be. My god, miniskirts were a return to the Victorian era. And, there is absolutely no question what is worn under a kilt after going to the Tilted Kilt (so I am told). ;) This is our Western mental model for English Pubs.
B.T.W. no tattoos there at the Tilted Kilt either (so I am told). How do they set those standards?
Just google Denver 16th Street Mall and Tilted Kilt for photos for any further explanation.

Collectors Guide, swastika historyLeaving www.cabq.gov
"The swastika was a widely used Native American symbol. It was used by many southwestern tribes, most notably the Navajo. Among different tribes the swastika carried various meanings. To the Hopi it represented the wandering Hopi clans; to the Navajo it represented a whirling log ( tsil no'oli' ), a sacred image representing a legend that was used in healing rituals."

But, I digress.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
I think that it is a bit glib to duck answering my question by saying that you cannot please everyone, you raised the issue of content.
The swastika , which what I presume you meant, is not offensive to some, Hindus and Buddhists spring to mind, and of course the Nazi symbol is a swastika turned clockwise 45 degrees. I have read and heard of Muslims being offended by the symbol of the cross, how widespread I don't know. I think your comment about it not being complex is a little simplistic.

Brian

The number of Muslims that are offended by the Cross is about all of them. You see the cross represents Jesus Christ and in the Koran and the other two books of Islam, Jesus is a human but a psuedo-Jesus as opposed to the Bible. He is not the Son of God. While the "Moon and star" the symbol that represents Islam has meaning to most of the people here in the US unless they are Muslim.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Unless the Starbucks in in New Mexico, LOL Then it might lead to getting a job as a minority since it is the Good Luck symbol of the Navajo and Hopi tribes.

It was something like that leading to a lawsuit for a chain store called Hooters in the US. Something about consistent standards being applied to the workplace where skimpy uniforms were required on endowed women.
B.T.W. a block away from work (so I am told, that is my story and I am sticking to it... the story, not the Tilted Kilt ) there is the English version of Hooters called the Tilted Kilt. They claim "UK-inspired pub chain with kilt-clad waitresses serving fish 'n' chips & bar food. "
Thanks to this cultural site, we yanks didn't realize how very short those Kilts were suppose to be. My god, miniskirts were a return to the Victorian era. And, there is absolutely no question what is worn under a kilt after going to the Tilted Kilt (so I am told). ;) This is our Western mental model for English Pubs.
B.T.W. no tattoos there at the Tilted Kilt either (so I am told). How do they set those standards?
Just google Denver 16th Street Mall and Tilted Kilt for photos for any further explanation.

"The swastika was a widely used Native American symbol. It was used by many southwestern tribes, most notably the Navajo. Among different tribes the swastika carried various meanings. To the Hopi it represented the wandering Hopi clans; to the Navajo it represented a whirling log ( tsil no'oli' ), a sacred image representing a legend that was used in healing rituals."

But, I digress.

A lot of Americans and Brits plus others world wide died (roughly 50,000,000) because of a swastika.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
The number of Muslims that are offended by the Cross is about all of them. You see the cross represents Jesus Christ and in the Koran and the other two books of Islam, Jesus is a human but a psuedo-Jesus as opposed to the Bible. He is not the Son of God.
Isn't it the Christ bit that should be 'pseudo'? I thought Jesus was just supposed to be his name?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Isn't it the Christ bit that should be 'pseudo'? I thought Jesus was just supposed to be his name?

Technically, Jesus is a corrupted version of Joshua, but you're right, it should be pseudo-Christ, not pseudo-Jesus. Christ is, after all, a title.

Vassago

Local time

But, I digress.

The Tilted Kilt and Hooters closest to my work, within a couple miles, both allow tattoos and piercings. I've had friends that work for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom