Need Report to Show Data Details Selectively For Each Field; Qualitative Data (1 Viewer)

lux

Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
Please help. Here's my scenario.
I have data from a survey with qualitative responses. For a single qualitative question, I moved the ID & responses into a new table and categorized the response according to a bucket/theme, where each column is a new bucket. I now have 10 columns. Each response is represented in 1 or more columns.

To make things easier, I used an excel formula to copy the response data into the column itself (thinking that I'd only need to solve for not null in Access).
Example:
A1 // B1// C1 // D1// E1//... L1
ID // Response // Cats // Dogs // Elephants //.... Column 10
1 // I like cats // I like cats //(null)//(null)// ... (null)//
2 // I like cats and dogs // I like cats and dogs // I like cats and dogs //(null)//..//
3 // etc.

However, now I'm realizing that Access always wants to show data for all records, or at most I can limit using a WHERE clause in my query.

I want to use Access to generate this report:

1. Section 1: Show all responses from the Cats bucket where there is data
2. Section 2: Show all responses from the Dogs bucket where there is data
3. and so on

I know how to do summary values, and I know how to do filtering that apply across the whole report, but this seems like more advanced filtering, where I want to see selective details differently for each field.

Any an all advice is appreciated!!
(Or any other advice regarding qualitative data and how you handle it is also appreciated. - but mostly I need help with the above)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:01
This sounds initially like a data design issue that complicates the report you wanted to build. Niklaus Wirth (father of Pascal) said that over 80% of all programming problems originated with questionable data designs.

The first and most import question for what you are doing is that you must design a data storage method to support the desired report. This is based on the old Programmer's Rule that Access can't tell you anything you didn't tell it first - and can't tell you anything you can't tell it how to find. So tell us about your data storage, table structure, or however you choose to say it.

lux

Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
Hmm interesting. OK.

Each record has one ID and one response. Then I have 10 fields - all of which are Boolean. Records can be true in multiple fields and must be true in at least 1 field.

The objective is to display all of the responses for field 1 where their value is true. Then, display all the responses for field 2 where their value is true. Then display all the responses for field 3 where their value is true.. and so on.

With Access reports, it's been my experience that I can only display details of records in a single way, one time - and Access will want to display all records (unless filtered by a query). [This is an assumption. Is it true?]

Are you suggesting that I need to edit my table structure? Or do I need to implement a different sort of query? Or do I implement a different query for each field?

I'd like to find the most elegant solution possible. As you can see I'm still learning - and I want to learn best practices.

Thank you!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:01
I am not intimately familiar with their work, but several posters to this forum have discussed the issues of "questionnaire" forms and tables and the problems of how to deal with them. Rather than fumble-fiddle my way through it, may I respectfully suggest that you use the forum SEARCH button for the topic of "Questionnaire" ? You might find a wealth of articles based on that keyword and would get help faster as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom