MS Access 2013 - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:34
I have just got MS Access 2013 and I'm quite impressed with the look of it, although it's not that different from Access 2007. I am wondering are there any pitfalls; are there any nice surprises. Anything else you can tell me about it that's interesting or scary!!!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes. It will stop working without an internet connection. It will report that it can't verify your licence.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So what do you do when you're on the train and there is no connection or the connection is intermittent?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well that's not completely true. It is a cloud based app. Anything you run online or in the cloud will need a sign on, but I have never been asked to sign in with local content.

Just a side note: If you are an educator or in education in some capacity, Microsoft will sell you a copy of Microsoft Office 2013 for around $10.00 us through its HUP program.

I will try again then. I do not use any cloud at all, but it wouldn't run word for me (I think) as it said it couldn't verify my licence.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
But Dave, you are posting on here? How do you do that then...?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
But Dave, you are posting on here? How do you do that then...?

Because I do have an internet connection. As I say I recollected that office 365 (perhaps it was that, rather than office 2013) failed to start because of a licence issue on an occasion when my internet was off.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Because I do have an internet connection. As I say I recollected that office 365 (perhaps it was that, rather than office 2013) failed to start because of a licence issue on an occasion when my internet was off.

Not knowing anything about Office 365, I'm guessing, but that makes sense, as I understand Office 365 is a web version of Office programmes; which I hear rumoured are a poor substitute for fully fledged "Office".

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not knowing anything about Office 365, I'm guessing, but that makes sense, as I understand Office 365 is a web version of Office programmes; which I hear rumoured are a poor substitute for fully fledged "Office".

it isn't a web app. it's more of a hybrid. you can elect either to run stuff locally or in the cloud. I do all my stuff locally. But once when the internet was down, I found I couldn't use Word. I rarely use Access 365 anyway - as I stick to A2003 pretty much, but I need to have A2013 available.

The reason I got office 365 was because I needed outlook, as my old machine had died, and Office 365 let me install on 5 PC's for a year for £99, as well as giving me a full version of word and excel among other stuff.

I haven't any problems with Office 365 which I believe is full Office2013.

eg, Excel shows as version 15.0.4649.nnnn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom