Placing text boxes bound to related fields (1 Viewer)

Quasius

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:59
I have my database structure layed out, but I am having trouble making a form for it.
If I use the form wizard to select fields from multiple, related tables it places them fine. And all the fields from all the tables show up in the field list box. But I need to know how to do this without the wizard.
The only way I can find to access fields from other tables is to build a subform, but I don't want to do that.
So my question is how do I place a field that is not from the table that the form is initially based on, but is related to that table without using a subform? The wizard does it fine, so how can I do it?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:59
The wizard creates a query that joins the tables and uses that as the recordsource for the form. So can you :)

Quasius

Registered User.
Local time
Is that readsource created by the query a "hidden" table? In, other words, is there still the limit of 255 fields using this method?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:59
The query isn't hidden, you can see it in the form's recordsource.

Open Recordsets are essentially temporary "tables" in memory and would also be restricted.

Quasius

Registered User.
Local time
So how can I get around the limitation of 255 fields on one form? Will a sub-form work for that?

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:59
Now that you have (hopefully) redesigned your structure, you will find as I told you much easier to conceive your forms and display your info. Generally, where you have a One to Many relationship between your tables, creating a form (underlying table: One side for the relationship) / subform (underlying table: Many side for the relationship) association is a viable soultion.
There are alternatives however and you must show some creativity here. It is not a good idea to want to display too much info on one form. You can also for example think about creating command buttons that would OnClick open another form to display related info, and/or using Tab controls, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom