Outside contractors (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 03:11
Just and idea: Would remote terminal be an option for someone to help?
Wouldn't suggest you let just anyone join, but you have some ideas on who you might be able to trust.

Basically: Yourcomputer workstation allowed a Remote Terminal session so that someone you trust could join your session with you watching over them - and having a speakerphone chat during the session.

You would want your computer workstation to have access to SQL Server and to your Access Application Source Code.
Having someone able to remotely "drive" with you as the co-pilot would be a very efficient way to identify general situations, offer solutions, and even make changes.

Back in the late 1990's we used this to assist remote offices in the Long Term Care industry. The local techs had to be a jack of all trades. This allowed our Access / DB support staff with more specalities get involved for ten minutes to a couple of hours and solve many problems.

yes that is what I had in mind, but where to I find someone?

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:11
Migrated 14 databases myself, so learned it the hard way. But the problem in my situation was quickly found.
In Access I worked with Yes / No columns Or true / false.
Access can handle when the value is Null. this is similar to No / false. When migrating this info to SQL server, the value remains NULL, but SQL server is blocking the record for modification with this message that "another user ..." This message is unfortunately misleading, just not correct.

Solution in my case
1) Run a query over the yes/no columns in SQL server. When NULL , change
the value from NULL to 0
2) Make sure that whenever you create a NEW record, the value of a bit column is set to 0 (or 1, whatever is appropriate) in SQL server with the default settings

This helped in my case

hi I had the same issue but the error was ODBC - Insert on a linked table 'tblDelivery' failed. So is there are a way to change the field to a YES or NO in MySQL like similar to a check box in Access because selecting those fields, a delivery is deleted from that table and appened to another table. If there is another way to do it MySQL then please advise. I was thinking of migrating my MS access tables to MySQL.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I have been looking over some courses.
What would be the difference between a SQL course, and a SQL server course?

boerbende

Ben
Local time
Today, 09:11
SQL server is the microsoft database server. You have also Oracle, MySQL etc.

SQL is the language which is generally used for querying a database

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
I think yous should be better off with MySQL if you need the backend as MySQL and front to be access forms. I am also trying to the learn the MySQL thing since am thinking of migrating my database to MYSQL.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
SQL server is the microsoft database server. You have also Oracle, MySQL etc.

SQL is the language which is generally used for querying a database

Am I correct in assuming that my best bet would be to take the SQL sever course since my organisations db and my personal ones are all MS Access?

boerbende

Ben
Local time
We work with Microsoft SQL Server Express and for our purpose this works OK (for free and can grow to something like 10Gb). Even for me as unexperienced user I thought it was simple to split to frontend / backend and easy to learn SQL server.

I have no experience with MySQL and have further no preference for whatever database server

boerbende

Ben
Local time
Am I correct in assuming that my best bet would be to take the SQL sever course since my organisations db and my personal ones are all MS Access?

I must admit I never did any course in Access development, SQL or SQL server, so I can not advice you in this one.
What I however assume is that SQL server is more or less the management of the server (backup / restore , create databases, problem solving, performance tuning etc) while SQL is more how to query part, how to query your data, update with SQL (structured query language) in any database server.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I must admit I never did any course in Access development, SQL or SQL server, so I can not advice you in this one.
What I however assume is that SQL server is more or less the management of the server (backup / restore , create databases, problem solving, performance tuning etc) while SQL is more how to query part, how to query your data, update with SQL (structured query language) in any database server.

Can anybody else elaborate on my question.

I want to learn SQL. I am looking at different online courses.
One company offers a course called SQL and a SQL server.
Since my organization master db is in ms access, and my personal db are all ms access, does it profit me to take one course over the other.

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
Accessallinone.com that site offers service and you tube tutorials on ms access.

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
The sql part comes into use only in queries. Those are used in the front end and not so much in the backend.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
The sql part comes into use only in queries. Those are used in the front end and not so much in the backend.
correct me if I am wrong. As I understand it, the only way the front end can talk to the back in on the server is with SQL.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:11
SQL Server is a container for your Access Data. Access via ODBC treats SQL Server linked tables in almost exactly the same way as local tables.

So if all you want to do is migrate your tables to SQL to allow for the benefits that would give, your need to learn much about it is actually very small.

However knowing your level of inquisitiveness you would want to learn a couple of areas about SQL.
1. How to back up and restore the data.
2. How to do clever things within SQL server to overcome some of the limitations within Access, and provide better remote access functionality going forwards.

Both of these are not too difficult to achieve. A great deal of SQL is very similar to what you are used to in Access - with the obvious Syntax gotcha's and other annoying subtle but essential differences we all learn to love.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
SQL Server is a container for your Access Data. Access via ODBC treats SQL Server linked tables in almost exactly the same way as local tables.

So if all you want to do is migrate your tables to SQL to allow for the benefits that would give, your need to learn much about it is actually very small.

However knowing your level of inquisitiveness you would want to learn a couple of areas about SQL.
1. How to back up and restore the data.
2. How to do clever things within SQL server to overcome some of the limitations within Access, and provide better remote access functionality going forwards.

Both of these are not too difficult to achieve. A great deal of SQL is very similar to what you are used to in Access - with the obvious Syntax gotcha's and other annoying subtle but essential differences we all learn to love.

Yes, right now I am trying to get just the overall picture. I have a few db on my wife's/mine that I would like to put on a server, but it's not that important as I can look at her data while I am on the road by using team viewer. My ultimate goal is to maintain the master db that my organization has on a server. It has lots that needs to be fixed and the outside contractor is not moving. It behooves me to learn all that I can before I make a move.

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
correct me if I am wrong. As I understand it, the only way the front end can talk to the back in on the server is with SQL.

Not exactly the front end will have a link to the backend. I understand that you don't have any access background. If so then I recommend you go to the link to have a better understanding how the whole access thing works. The SQL idea, maybe you have heard it somewhere that the backend needs an SQL server. Not correct either i have my access database backend running on a windows8 works perfectly for me.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Not exactly the front end will have a link to the backend. I understand that you don't have any access background. If so then I recommend you go to the link to have a better understanding how the whole access thing works. The SQL idea, maybe you have heard it somewhere that the backend needs an SQL server. Not correct either i have my access database backend running on a windows8 works perfectly for me.

I am very well versed in MS Access. I have made in excess of 50 db. I understand the back end front end. In fact I have split a coupe of db with the back end on my machine and the front end slightly different on my wife's machine and on mine, but hard wired between the machines in our RV. The part I am attempting to learn is connecting to a serve/host. via internet.

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
So you wish to have the front end have access to the backend via the internet is that what your looking for here?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
So you wish to have the front end have access to the backend via the internet is that what your looking for here?

Yes, my quest is as stated previously is to have enough command of events in such a application that I can in the further be able maintain my organizations master db. A secondary objective will probable to put some of my own db's on a host/server.

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
Well if i were you and to have access the backend from internet i'd be setting up dynamic dns. Have it all set in the back end and do the required to forward a port to the db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom