Data Import from Excel (memo field truncated) (1 Viewer)

LEXCERM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:06
Hi,

There is a resolution to this already, but was wondering if there is an alternative method.

I have several records in an Excel file which can contain fields of over 255 characters. Therefore, I set up the Access table field as "memo-type". Before importing, I need to create 10 or so dummy rows at the beginning of the Excel file with fields containing 255+ characters because this is how Access determines the field type. This works.

If I don't create the dummy rows, the fields are truncated further along the process to only 255.

Is there an alternative solution to this problem.

Many thanks and regards.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 02:06
You should already have a table in access with the MEMO field.
Are you saying, when you import to this table, it truncates the data?
how are you importing?
manually?
transferspreadsheet?
or query?

LEXCERM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:06
Thanks for the reply Ranman256.

- Yes, the table in Access has a memo field
- I am importing it manually using GET EXTERNAL DATA > EXCEL etc (it's a one-off)
- If the field in Excel has 524 characters, it imports only the first 255 characters.
- If I copy the data from Excel and paste into Access, it takes all 524 characters.

As mentioned, I read somewhere that Access assesses the first 8 record rows in Excel and basis the field-type on those rows. So if you have <=255, it assumes it's a Text field (or something like that).

The method I stated does work for me, but am just curious as to why it doesn't work if you already have the field set to memo?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom