Rollover banner ads (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:47
I know the site runs on advertising but I am finding the rollover banner ads quite annoying as I move to the menus from the body of the page.

Are other uses getting this too?

I guess if we are stuck with this arrangement then I will get accustomed to going around them.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:47
I was looking at guitars on a guitar shops website, then when I log into here I get plagued with guitar adverts everywhere, bloody annoying.

Someone must be making a mint annoying everyone with these stupid adverts nobody wants or pays attention to.

Col

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 13:47
I translated something from Spanish to English to find out what it meant and kept getting O'Reilly ads for 'Cambio de aceite de descuento' for a month.

To Galaxiom's point--I have had 3 issues with the banner ad:

1. Often I move from the body of the page to the menu bar and the ad thinks I am hovering and expands, covering the menu items and forcing me to scroll down, click somewhere so the ad dissapears and forcing me to carefully navigate around the ad area to the menu bar.

That still happens the next two I haven't experienced in a while, but may still occur:

2. The page never loads. I think they put a delay between when the banner ad load and when the page itself loaded forcing you to see the banner ad for a second or so. Often times the page itself never loaded either because the ad crashed it or got stuck in some sort of delay loop.

3. Video ads--been a few months but sometimes when #1 above happened it forced the ad to expand and play a video. This I couldn't get to go away so I quickly hit back and reentered the page.

My suggestion is to space the banner ad a little further from the menu bar--then again, they might get paid for all those errant clicks.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I get #2 above. Makes me think my wifi has stopped, again, bloody annoying.

It's like TV adverts, nobody wants them yet someone's bank account is rapidly growing at the misery of the users, but who cares? The money is rolling in.

These forums were brill before the ads came along, it was like a safe haven from the bombardment, now it's just the same as the rest.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Annoying they may be but Jon has to pay to run the forum and needs to at least cover his costs. Doesn't becoming a paying to be a supporter,e.g. Diamond Supporter reduce or stop the ads you are shown?

Brian

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:47
There are ways and means around the advertising but I am curious as to the costs involved in maintaining a site such as this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom