Hello from Oklahoma (1 Viewer)

drparks

Local time
Today, 12:45
My name is Daniel and I am relatively new to Access. I have used it on and off for personal projects since Access 2000. Nothing fancy. I just signed up for Office 365 and would like to build a couple of web apps for our business. I was using Access 2007 until a few days ago and am trying to catch-up on the new available features. I am very excited about.

It is nice to be on the forum and I look forward getting to know all of you.

Daniel

drparks

Local time
Thank you, Uncle Gizmo. I am very glad to have found AWF.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:45
You are welcome Daniel, I've been thinking about signing up to Office 356 for personal use, just to try it out, any observations?

drparks

Local time
So far so good; I love it. I can live without the bells and whistles the desktop version offers because I haven’t used a lot of them anyway being just a smidgen above a novice level. I can see if you are a power Access developer the lack of features may be hard to accept. The db’s I have designed in the past were simple and did not require any advanced coding. I would design the db in Access then hand if off to someone (usually from India) to create a MySQL db for dynamic websites.

I created the first test Access web app last week and had it on our SharePoint site in minutes. Creating relationships is a little odd. Relationships are created via a lookup field and you don’t want to create the lookup fields until the parent table is created. One problem I will have to deal with is creating reports.

The reason I love it (so far) is I “may” not have to count on a third party designer to finish the application. I will have a bit of a learning curve, but with the help of AWF members, it should be fun.

SharePoint looks like a challenge, but there is a lot of documentation to reference.

I have a couple of businesses and custom databases will really benefit all involved. All of the databases will be for in-house use and we will be able to use SharePoint as our cloud server.

drparks

Local time
Uncle Gizmo,

You may be interested in online review from accessexperts titled "10 Things We Love About Access 2013". I signed up for the trial version of Office 365 E3 after reading it. I am definitely going to buy it when the trial is over.

I would copied the link, but wasn't allowed because I don't have 10 posts yet.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:45
The Link restriction is to deter Spammers. You'll get free of it shortly.

Here is the Live Link:- "10 Things We Love About Access 2013".

It's nice to see something positive about A2013, I was beginning to think upgrading was a mistake.

I haven't signed up yet, I will wait for some play time.

I'm very impressed with "Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access" and "SQL Server 2014 Management Studio". very thing seems to work more smoothly than I remember.

Last edited:

drparks

Local time
You may have already tested having two simultaneous versions of Office installed on your PC, but I had not. When I signed up for Office 365 I downloaded and installed Office 2013 not realizing Office 2007 would remain intact. I read somewhere it was not recommended to have both versions installed on the same PC. With that said, I have not run into any real issues. I have used Access 2013 to open most of my 2007 files without issue and made changes to the same file in both 2007 and 2013 without issue.

The same has not been true for MS Word and Excel files. Though most of the files I have tested with 2013 opened successfully; some refuse to open at all. In Word, it has been files with tables (and not all files with tables). I have no idea what is causing some Excel files to not open. If I have a file open in 2013 and attempt to open one of those “stubborn” files in either Excel or Word they both freeze. I am forced to completely close the program and cannot save any changes made to the other open files.

Is this happening because both 2007 and 2013 programs are installed simultaneously or will those files never open in 2013? I don’t know. I guess I will find out when I uninstall 2007. Of course, this makes me a little nervous uninstalling Office 2007.

Making sure I save a new file on my PC and not the SharePoint server has taken some adjustment as well.

I am trying to find some time to learn a couple of programming languages and become more skilled at sql because it greatly affects how sophisticated any future web apps can be. However, when you consider my lack of skills, I have not experienced any real issues creating web apps or dealing in the SharePoint environment. One has to give Microsoft kudos; if I can do it anyone can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom