Sorting a word list in the same field. (1 Viewer)

meh190meh

Local time
Today, 08:44
Hi, I'm quite new to Ms Access, and altough I have made some big improvements in my skills, I cannot even start to figure how I will do this.

I have a field called 'Keywords', in which I input a list of words. Now, the easy way would be to write the words in alphabetical order straight away, but with 300+ records, and new additions here and there, this is becoming a very tedious and time-consuming chore.

What I need is the ability to type in the word list in any order, and then have the word list produced in alphabetical order in the report.

For example, if in record one my word list in 'Keywords' is
Flower Bee Cat Dog
the report should output it as Bee Cat Dog Flower

It is very impractical to make a number of fields for separate keywords, since the amount of keywords is very variable, and on certain occasions exceeds 20 entries. I have very basic understanding of VBA, my knowledge of access functions is moderate. Any help or tips would be appreciated greatly.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:44
Why not have those "Keywords" in a separate table with a record for each word? Sorting would be easy and if you needed them in one field of a report you could put them back together.

meh190meh

Local time
Today, 08:44
I thought of that, but the number of entries is unknown... there could be 5 keywords, there could be 25... too many unknowns

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
That's why using a separate table makes sense. You can have essentially an unlimited amount of words.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Putting the "words" back together again is a snap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom