Getting round "Write Conflict" (1 Viewer)

Help.Chris

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:15
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a subform which contains the following details,

NumberId, Valid_From, Valid_To, In_Use

When the use changes the in_use item (yes/no) i want to write the current record to the table with the Valid from_from date entered.

Then i want to create a new record with the Valid-to set to current date. hence getting a history of changes to the record.

This i can achieve using

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE Number_Details SET Number_Details.Valid_To = dateadd('d',-1,Date()) WHERE (((Number_Details.NumberDetails_Id)=" & Me.NumberDetails_Id & "))"

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO Number_Details ( Number_Id, Valid_From, In_Use, CampaignDetails_Id ) SELECT " & Me.Number_Id & ", Date(), " & Me.In_Use & ", " & Me.CampaignDetails_Id

This works but comes up with a write conflict message, i am guessing due the fact the record is still showing in the form.

Is there a way of getting round this message

Thanks all

Chris

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:15
Chris,

Rather than running the Update query with the RunSQL command, use the following line to save the current record.

Code:
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

That should get rid of the write conflict.

Also, when auditing changes to a record, conventionally you would create a "snapshot" of the current record (a dup of the record that is about to be changed) in a separate table -- something called, say, TblHistory (or whatever suits you), running your code from the form's Before Update event to execute the archiving task:

Code:
Dim strSQL as string

strSQL =  INSERT INTO TblHistory " & _
"( Number_Id, Valid_From, In_Use, CampaignDetails_Id  ) " & _
"SELECT " & Me.Number_Id & ", Date(), " _
& Me.In_Use & ", " & Me.CampaignDetails_Id

CurrentDb.Execute strSQL

Regards,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom