Query report changed data (1 Viewer)

Lvalencia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:20
I created a query and one of the fields was "name". In the query it listed the names and then changed to the ID number of the names from the name table. The query was created using the wizard. Why did the query change to the ID number mid report and how do I get it to report only the names and not the ID number.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 08:20
Actually it did not change anything. You are using a lookup field in your table, and this is one of the confusing consequences: the field has one name but the content is something else.

Use lookups in combos in a form only, not in tables. Then you'll have a WISYWYG table: what you see is what you get.

To get the names corresponding to the ID's you need in the query to bring in that field from the table holding them - the lookup table.

Lvalencia

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks appreciate the help. Also had to create the proper relationship in the tables.

Lvalencia

Registered User.
Local time
Ok I thought I had it figured out but still not correct. your suggestion "To get the names corresponding to the ID's you need in the query to bring in that field from the table holding them - the lookup table" I did that. However it only brought the records that had a name in the record. Also, it now does not list the records that only have the number. I noticed another field that has the same issue. I appreciate the help

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 08:20
Not sure what your question is.

Go into the query designer.
In the query designer show all the tables involved in your query
Make sure the tables are related as appropriate by dragging the links form one to the other to link them. If you don't know how to do that, try. If that fails do a web tutorial on Access queries.
Drag each field onto the query grid to display
Run the query - now you see what you have available
Delete from the query grid the fields you do not wish to have
Done

Lvalencia

Registered User.
Local time
Used query designer as you suggested, Still returning names and numbers. At a loss??? drop down box on form is valuable and time saving but wonder if it should be deleted since queries don't return good data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom