Which ebook? (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:54
I am thinking of getting an ebook. I would welcome any advice, tips etc as to the best buy

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Get an android phone, (a magic is around £100) apps available for reading eBooks, and also on-line books, I read loads on train, other places cause your "Reader" is always with you...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:54
Despite its convenience a mobile phone isn't an ideal reader.

Readers have a different screen tecnology that uses reflected light with better contrast under most viewing conditions and a longer battery life. They also have a larger screen.

Have you consulted this comparison?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 03:54
I use Amazon Kindle (on my Android phone) and it works great. I would think that an actual Kindle would be even better given the larger screen. But even on the Android, you can adjust the type size, the contrast, etc.

AKUK

Local time
If you want it purely as an ereader and you will be reading a lot then it would be advisable to get an Amazon Kindle. As Galaxiom said there is a special type of screen for ereaders which is more gentle on your eye causing far less strain. In the past Sony ereaders have had large failure rates (search google to see how many complaints there are) but the Kindle has a good reputation and is a reasonable price. I am not sure what other alternatives there are to the Kindle.

If you have more money and would like a multifunctional device then perhaps consider an iPad or await the iPad 2 which will have a much higher screen resolution. The iPad may strain your eyes if you read for long periods due to it using normal screen technology but it can surf the internet, use apps etc.

I personally feel a phone screen will be too small to read, even if you can zoom in. I have the iBooks app on my iPhone 4 but I wouldn't want to read a novel using it.

The best thing is to try the devices out before you buy, I am not sure where you could demo a Kindle or other eReader but you could try an iPad inside any Apple store.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Just bought my wife a Kindle, the only downside to it is that there is no backlight on it.you can get a protective cover that has a built in light for nighttime or bad light reading but it comes at a price nearly half the cost of the Kindle itself.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 05:54
What does everyone think of the Nook? I have seen it in Barnes and Noble and have wondered, it doesn't get as much press as the kindle.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Just download an audio book onto your favourite media player :D

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:54
Both my wife and Daughter love their colornooks. They have a backlight.
Downside is the battery does not last as long as the eInk readers.

and1_hotsauce

Registered User.
Local time
how does this work? Do you have to buy from ebooks from a particular website for it to work on the phone or can any .pdf document work?

isabelle

Local time
How come nobody even mentioned the iPad ? :)

To answer the above question, readers can read various types of formats. From epub to PDF, etc. You just load the ebooks on the device and that's it.

DSerri

Local time
iPad is neat for magazine subscriptions, but for bookworms who loves to cuddle in sofa/bed when reading novels, kindle or nook is the best option - I like the latter, specifically nook simple touch.

Larry B

Local time
Today, 04:54
I Love the 'Nook Tablet" good color and long Battery Life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom