Unsolicited Advertising (1 Viewer)

ddcessex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:11
I used to really like this site and regularly recommended it to colleagues.

There are some really selfless and dedicated helpers on here offering a wealth of know and helping us all alone when we most need it.

But now with unsolicited advertising on EVERY POST it has just made it unbearable for me and, I assume, many others.

There is already an advert at the header of the page but one on every posting is surely OTT :mad::mad::mad:

Anyone feel the same?

I guess if it continues I suppose the message is if you don't like it then go find another forum?

Raymond

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
That bugged me too when I first started using the site. Now I don't even notice them.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 12:11
... Now I don't even notice them.
The same here!
You've the option to get a paid membership, with lesser to no advertising.
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/payments.php
Jon who owns this site have costs of running this site, which he comprehensible enough trying to recoup through advertising.
Which is a small price to pay to get help from some of the best MS Access programmers/developers for free, as this site offers.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 07:11
Besides the header banner, I see one little advertising box in the original post on a thread, is that really unbearable?

Are you seeing more than that?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Besides the header banner, I see one little advertising box in the original post on a thread, is that really unbearable?

Are you seeing more than that?
Yes, much more! - I attached a screenshot of this thread.

Attachments

• accprog_adverts.jpg
    accprog_adverts.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 226

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Noting is free in life. (Unless you listen to Bernie). As for the advice and help that I have received from this forum, it is priceless. So, if there are 'adverts' on it, I guess that is the price I have to pay.

Quite frankly, and this might come as a shock to some people, I sometimes click on them just so however the 'adverts' scheme works, that the evil geniuses behind the scheme know this is a good site to advertise on.

And no, I don't need a "Haiku",

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Jon who owns this site have costs of running this site, which he comprehensible enough trying to recoup through advertising.
I understand the site owner having to cover the costs of running the forum. I can imagine that this probably more than just the plain hosting costs of the site. So I try to tolerate the adverts here. - But, sorry, I still think there are too many/too intrusive adverts here. (See my screenshot in the other post.)
I am particularly offended by the fact that the adverts are not visually separated from the user contributed content here, but are inserted right into my (and others) posts.
Which is a small price to pay to get help from some of the best MS Access programmers/developers for free, as this site offers.
Well, there is another side to that coin. There are experienced Access developers out there, who are not using this forum as much as they probably would do without the advertising (or less of it). - Consider me one of them.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:11
Even my Comcast email they claim is "free" with my $100 a month internet subscription has advertisements. Many of them are very irritating and insulting.

http://www.wired.com/2012/08/exclusive-clip-branded-mind-altering-marketing/
The sci-fi movie Branded in 2012 was one of my favorite movies.
Its depiction of the USSR (that had absolutely no advertisement) is a stark contrast to how fast things changed.
For those of us who see things a little differently than the average inhabitant of this planet, it is a must see.
Don't want to spoil it.

I brought up my kid to understand an advertisement is a mental icon branded into a neuron to create an urge. We would verbally break down a commercial. When a character drinks a soft drink, colors become more vibrant, people take notice of them, thin healthy people dance with them...

For myself, the advertisement is my daily dose of immunity to build up my defense against con artist and other bad actors. Before any purchase, the routine is to insure that advertisement did not play a role in the urge to buy or the decision to buy a specific brand. :D

B.T.W. after watching he movie Branded, imagine the irony of the silly advertisements on the link above!

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
I don't even notice them! Rx, I like the way you think of advertisements, and it is so very true! It reminds me of Hillary Clinton in the way she campaigns as a good candidate, but tries to hide the facts behind the scenes in her political/governmental history.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't even notice them! Rx, I like the way you think of advertisements, and it is so very true! It reminds me of Hillary Clinton in the way she campaigns as a good candidate, but tries to hide the facts behind the scenes in her political/governmental history.
She's done nothing to explain the snuke found in her snatch. :D

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
You know you're getting old when you have to google snuke . But then again I wasn't a huge fan of south park. ;)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
I was in NYC and saw the Book of Mormon the opening week from 3rd row in 2011. They even had "Cartman" as the stage announcer. Was among some of our Colorado natives that are part of the show.
The Book of Mormon is a religious satire musical with book, lyrics, and music best known for creating the animated comedy South Park.
Its second tour in the US was in 2013The Mormon event is a very US centric event. It was huge in the development of the West, the railroads, and business.
I just saw that in 2013, it opened in London and received several awards there too.

For those into SciFi, the series The Expanse is written and the stage design by large groups of actual engineers, and other groups that were part of novels.
There is no Star Treck "magic" like "beaming" or "warp". They use actual technology such as atomic hydrogen engines being tested at my old workplace.
Water (or ice) for oxygen and fuel is precious and mined in the asteroid/ comet belt.
It is set hundreds of years in the future where humans have colonized the solar system. The U.N. controls Earth. Mars is an independent military power. The planets rely on the resources of the Asteroid Belt, where air and water are more precious than gold.
The portrayal of the Mormon is great. They are building a fusion based large cargo rocket to take the first settlers several light years (that will take several generations) to colonize another planet.
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/enterthefuture/

The sets in Toronto are designed by engineers that contributed to the novels.
A review of the Pinewood Studios can be found here.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/our-visit-to-the-mind-blowingly-realistic-spaceship-set-1743284262
The budget per episode is suppose to be around $5,000,000 USD.

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Well, interesting info regarding the Book of Mormon, Rx. Never heard of it except as a book.

And I just discovered (this morning!) why I haven't seen any advertisements...because I only access this site while at work, so they are filtered. However, I saw a few emails regarding additional posts here, so I decided to check in - since I may not be going to work today. And, voila! There are the advertisements!

Never heard the term "snuke in a snatch" before...

XelaIrodavlas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:11
Quite frankly, and this might come as a shock to some people, I sometimes click on them just so however the 'adverts' scheme works, that the evil geniuses behind the scheme know this is a good site to advertise on.

I never thought of this, support your favourite websites by increasing ad traffic! In theory advertisers more successful, demand goes up, price goes up, web host richer, and maybe doesn't need as many adverts anymore!

OP, is this a workable solution? ;)

P.s. No-one solicits advertisements that's why they're called advertisements :p

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Its simple. Without adverts, this forum wouldn't exist. The alternative is to personally pay me for the years of time and effort spent running the site, costs of dealing with the many hacks we have faced and the significant hosting costs.

I do not understand the attitude that everything should be free. Even Google has typically 3 or 4 adverts right at the top of the search listings, before you even get to the organic results.

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Jon, apparently you could have saved a lot of those years of time, see attached.

Only joking:D

Perhaps any serious objectors could be offered an advert free version for a small consideration;)

Attachments

• azure.jpg
    azure.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 198

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:11
Jon, apparently you could have saved a lot of those years of time, see attached.

Only joking:D

Perhaps any serious objectors could be offered an advert free version for a small consideration;)

You mean by offering something like paid memberships? What a bizarre idea! :p

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
B.T.W. I did notice that I get 1 single advertisement per page now, as a Gold Member.
Did I miss a renewal? would be glad to renew if only to provide a Thank You via tax deductible membership.
Disclaimer: I recently invested heavily in Silver, not Gold mining stocks when Silver was under USD $17 in Nov - Dec 2016.
Last year's 187% gain in Nov 2015 is no guarantee of a profits in 2018.
I also invested in a Gold Membership in this site. Perhaps that Gold Member subscription contributed to the Luck ?

However, I thanks my Lucky Stars that I was not born to be superstitious.
Thanks for all you do Jon!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Rx_, I checked and just for your reference, your membership expired on 30/12/16. Thank you for the previous two years. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom