Azure (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:56
Hi we are stuck currently using client server Ms Access to SQL server technologies.

We have a number of sites who run this same setup but in the cloud, so the ms access is installed on virtual PCS.

Am a I right in thinking SQL azure could sit in the cloud and ms access work locally and connect. Can you not do this with sql server itself. Whats the differance between the two.

Can this type of azure setup handle medium sized data in access apps, moving it over teh internet?

I have done a little reading - but so far lost on the basics. Any help appreciated.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 07:56
I only have a minute of two before an appointment.
After attending several working demonstrations, this would be the highlight.
AZURE uses SQL Server Native Client - The same code that I and others have listed for Linked Servers. Of course the DB connect information is a long encrypted looking string as you probably already know.
Preference: create views and link the views as a linked table. Views are basically a query with the added Security profile added for better management.
The rules of RI apply, so even if a view is one table - so it can be Read/Write.... do it.
AZURE is cloud, so it only returns the first few records on a table (avoid tables) or View (query). That reduces Web traffic.
Example: a linked Azure view returns the first 100 rows. But there are 1,000 rows.
A loop to read the first 100, then append the next 100, .... until last record must be written.
That is the biggest difference. We Access programmers wouldn't think twice about returning a 1,000 records of three to five fields for some process.
In AZURE, the web delivery packet limits the recordset. (almost like a built-in top 100). So, there is no inherent way to know how much is returned.

For a pull down list box with ten items, that might not be too bad.
Some of my list boxes for information might be a few hundred, expecting the user to type and find the best match.
Hope that helps.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:56
Thanks yes, I think I need to do a lot more reearch into Azure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom