Login times out, lost my long post!!! (1 Viewer)

rede96

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:23
Ok, someone is having a good laugh at my expense! And probably others.

I started a new thread in which it took me a bit of time, around 5 minutes to think about what I wanted to put. The post itself was probably only a few paragraphs long.

I go to press on submit and guess what, the site asks me for my login and password again!!

I enter my details but on refresh NO POST!! it had gone the way of the DoDo.

Very frustrating.

Is this a site problem or something I can correct in my windows setting? (Windows 8)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:23
Tick the Remember Me box when logging in.

It sets a cookie.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 15:23
Cookie or no cookie - the thing, stupidly, wipes your post if it has decided you need to re-login.

Imagine if a shopping site did this ...

rede96

Registered User.
Local time
Tick the Remember Me box when logging in.

It sets a cookie.

Yes, that is the obvious fix :) But I never tick these things in genreal out of habbit, so will have to remember.

Although I do know other sites that copy the data and repost it in case this happens. Just a thought :D

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
on some sites, you don't need to register to start filling your basket - you are only asked when you go to checkout

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Yes, that is the obvious fix :) But I never tick these things in genreal out of habbit, so will have to remember.

Although I do know other sites that copy the data and repost it in case this happens. Just a thought :D

If you know that it is going to take you a long time to compose a post do it in WORD and then copy it across, this guards against all possible problems.

Brian

rede96

Registered User.
Local time
If you know that it is going to take you a long time to compose a post do it in WORD and then copy it across, this guards against all possible problems.

Brian

I normally do use word for long post and spelling checks! Especially as with these new overly sensitive touch pads on lap tops it is really easy to wipe out whole paragraphs just by catching the touch pad in the wrong place. And there is no undo on a web page.

But to be honest, I didn't think it was going to take me that long, and 5 mins wasn't too long anyway.

But I have had other instances, even when I clicked 'remember me', when it the site has flicked me back to login page. It happened just yesterday but fortunately I was just quoting someone so it didn't matter.

I think what would be useful (If feasible) would be for some sort of wordpad tool to pop up or be embedded in the thread so I could type my post there with relative safety and if there was a login problem, at least the typed message would still be there.

Anyway, just a thought as it is a similar problem in lots of forums.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 07:23
It's happened to me many times.
One fix is to write your post in WORD (as has already been suggested).
Sometimes I do that if I'm planning a long, complicated post - but that tends to take the spontaneity out of the process. I like to speak off the cuff - so to speak - and when you pore over a post tweaking here and there and correcting errors - not such a bad thing but you do lose that quality of speaking extemporaneously. I want to write what I want to write on the first try (correcting typos as much as possible) and then click POST.
But I've been the victim of this verbal larceny by the forum interface.
And I HATE when it happens.
Whenever it happens, it seems that I had phrased my post exactly and precisely the way I wanted to and needed to - but once it is gone I can never quite recreate the post satisfactorily!!!
But I DO have a simple solution (when I remember to do it).
Right before clicking on the POST button, simply click within the text of the post, then click CTRL + A, then CTRL + C. This (as I'm sure most of us know) will copy your post, and will remain on your clipboard until displaced by the next CTRL + C. Then if you find your post gone, simply log in again, click in the text box and CTRL + V and voila, your brilliant thoughts have NOT been lost after all.
Excuse me now while I CTRL + A, CTRL + C, Post Quick Reply, and possibly CTRL + V.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 07:23
Click the "Preview Post" button, which restarts the timer on your session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom