Ebola - Virus of DB design or other way around? (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 15:06
http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/ebola_victims/index.htm
Give a thanks to Uncle Gizmo - he posted this in Watercooler
It is a great design, tutoral, download on a timely subject.

Thought this real-word model could be helpful for others to learn.
Of course, Ebola could be substituted for the following:
- STD
- Flu
- Smallpox
- Really really bad jokes

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:06
MANAGING STUDENT COURSES:-
Summary:- Student database. The students, no lessons, just odd days throughout the year. Some are blocks (3 days). Consider a block - 3 single days. "First Aid", days named "First Aid day1"; "First Aid day2"; "First Aid day3". Tables:- tblStudent, StudentID, StudentName. tblCourse, CourseID, CourseName. tblCourseDay, CourseDay_ID, CourseDay_DATE, CourseDay_COURSEID-(from tblCourse) A Table to show the student(s) on a Course, tblStudentOnCourse, StudentOnCourseID, StudentOnCourse_STUDENTID-(from tblStudent), StudentOnCourse_COURSEDAYID-(from tblCourseDay), StudentOnCourse_BOOKED, StudentOnCourse_ATTENDED. Once the table "tblCourseDay" has been updated, then combine it with table "tblStudentOnCourse" Display courses in sub-form on the Student form. Operator can "check off" Attending. Later, "Check off" to indicate if the student attend.

Verbose:-
I have a new project I am pricing up. It is for a student database. The students don't reside at a college or university in other words there are no daily lessons like a school. They are in the community with the occasional learning days throughout the year. Occasionally there is a block of learning days, normally three in a row. The customer has specified that I treat these situations separately, and has run off some table diagrams for me. However I don't see that they are any different. The three-day modular course could be considered as 3 single days. You could have a Module "First Aid" & days named "First Aid day1"; "First Aid day2"; "First Aid day3". This would give me what I want single table to handle every day of the course. That's when I found the Ebola diagram, I was looking for a diagram to show me how to handle courses; by date; by student; I couldn't find anything suitable so on seeing this I thought I would post my question here. I am thinking the following tables:- tblStudent, StudentID, StudentName. tblCourse, CourseID, CourseName. tblCourseDay, CourseDay_ID, CourseDay_DATE, CourseDay_COURSEID-(from tblCourse) Now to pull it all together I need a table to show the student(s) on a Course, tblStudentOnCourse, StudentOnCourseID, StudentOnCourse_STUDENTID-(from tblStudent), StudentOnCourse_COURSEDAYID-(from tblCourseDay), StudentOnCourse_BOOKED, StudentOnCourse_ATTENDED. Once the table "tblCourseDay" has been updated with the years courses, then the records can be combined with the table "tblStudentOnCourse" allowing for the display of all of the available course dates in a subform on the Student main form where an operator can check off when a student has agreed to attend a course. After the course has run then the operator can "Check" to indicate if the student did in fact attend the course.

Your observations, critique & admonishment will be welcomed.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:06
The benefit of a nights sleep!

The "Single" day courses belong to groups, call it "Course Type" like "Compulsory Courses" "Other Courses", I can use this to add another field which will allow me to Group the Block of courses. So I now have "Compulsory Courses" (several individual courses) "Other Courses" (several individual courses), then "First Aid" as a course type, and days as Day 1, Day 2, Day 3....

The benefit of a nights sleep? not so sure now I've spelt it out, I can't help thinking I'm digging myself a hole....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom