Creating a grant database (1 Viewer)

Maria83

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:26
Also Rain, staying up till 2am and taking the time to help me out - did not go unnoticed...just saying thank-you to you and Plog for all of your help doesn't seem enough, but it's all I can do :) You guys are great people :)

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:26
For some reason I can run through all my records on the form but can't seem to generate an empty form that users can then fill to populate the database

I'm not the best with forms, but my guess is you built a query and used that as the form's datasource. This is incorrect. Every form that will allow data manipulation (add/edit/delete) should be based on just one table. Sometimes, like this case, it will mean employing a sub-form.

You have 4 tables, that means 4 forms. Institutions, All Applicants (you should really remove the space from all table and field names), Awarded Grants and Fiscal Funding will have their own form. Fiscal Funding will be the unique one, it will have its own form, but that form will be a subform on the Awarded Grants form. That way you can add multiple years of funding to a grant.

You might be better off heading to the Forms section now and asking specific questions there.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 20:26
Plog

I was a bit worried that I would not be completely understood. In fact one of your statements led me to write something.

I did not catch onto where you were going with your multiple changes.

I simply used the Rule to be sure to be sure. I was trying also to avoid using someone's name in a critical manner. I am trying to be a good boy tonight. Talking of which it is 2:00 AM. I am off for now.

Plog
I was thinking this afternoon and finally realised what I was unhappy about with something said. Well I think you said it. Let me explain.

With a Foreign Table we have a Primary Key, 1, 2,3,4,5 in one field etc followed by some Data like a person's name. Fred, George Harold etc in another field.

Some people have made the mistake of using a lookup to this table and storing the value of the Data Fred, or George etc instead of the Primary Key.

This as you realise is wrong. And in this situation if Fred needs to be changed to Freddy then it has to be changed with every occurrence. Instead if we stored the Primary Key 1 or 2 or 3 etc we would only have to change Fred to Freddy once only in the lookup table.

I don't know if I needed to explain this but the way I read something I thought it would not do any harm.

Thanks for bearing with me.

RainLover

Local time
I'm not the best with forms, but my guess is you built a query and used that as the form's datasource. This is incorrect. Every form that will allow data manipulation (add/edit/delete) should be based on just one table. Sometimes, like this case, it will mean employing a sub-form.

You have 4 tables, that means 4 forms. Institutions, All Applicants (you should really remove the space from all table and field names), Awarded Grants and Fiscal Funding will have their own form. Fiscal Funding will be the unique one, it will have its own form, but that form will be a subform on the Awarded Grants form. That way you can add multiple years of funding to a grant.

You might be better off heading to the Forms section now and asking specific questions there.

Plog

Please excuse me for this but you are incorrect in a certain way.

A Form can use more than one table if they are joined together through the use of a Query. I have seen Queries that are the result of a few tables which in turn are the records for use in the Form.

So when you say you can only use one table it would be better if you said that any single Form/subForm can only have one Record Source. This could be either a single Table or a Query made up of more than one Table or even a combination of a Table and a Query.

Just as a preference note. I convert all my Tables into Queries before using that data in either a Form or a Report.

Maria, I suggest you look at the archives for a paper on Naming Conventions. I wrote it so I am bias. It is easy to read and use. It's use is not compulsory.

RainLover

Local time
So I ran a few queries and reports to make sure things were working, and everything seems to be working well. I created a form for users to be able to populate the database, but I'm having some difficulty with it - and could really use some help. For some reason I can run through all my records on the form but can't seem to generate an empty form that users can then fill to populate the database.

Maria,

Have you been playing with the properties on this Form.

Have a look at the option for Data Entry on the Data Tab. This should be set to No.
This is the opposite to what one would normally think.

It means that No the form is not set up for new Data Only. It will allow changes to old data and also add new data.

This may or may not be your solution. If not leave another question. Or you could do as plog says and open a new thread in the Forms area. But if you do please leave a note and a link here saying what you have done.

Maria83

Registered User.
Local time
Alright guys,

Thanks so much for all of your help, I think I'm going to move on to the forms forum. For my purposes, Plog you were right, and I guess Rain you are as well, I'm creating a form to populate my tables, so I will need separate forms for each table. I did do that, I created a separate form for each of my tables, and then "adjusted" my initial form by using subforms. I added the Institutions Form to the All Applicants Form, for users ease. And will add the Fiscal Funding form to the Awarded Grants Form as a subform as well. This way users don't have to go to 4 separate forms to populate the tables. My only problem right now is moving between form + subform, but hopefully someone in the other group will be able to help me with that.

Thanks again guys, Cheers,
Maria

Maria83

Registered User.
Local time
Maria,

Have you been playing with the properties on this Form.

Have a look at the option for Data Entry on the Data Tab. This should be set to No.
This is the opposite to what one would normally think.

It means that No the form is not set up for new Data Only. It will allow changes to old data and also add new data.

This may or may not be your solution. If not leave another question. Or you could do as plog says and open a new thread in the Forms area. But if you do please leave a note and a link here saying what you have done.

Nope, I didn't change the Data Entry property. I'll leave a note and link once I figure it all out.

RainLover

Local time
Open the Query or Table that populates the form.

Check to see if it is update able.

cooh23

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there,

I've attached the database I created for a non-profit organization I used to work. I developed this back in 2008 so you'll see some errors there but it works. I believe it's still in use til this day. Anyway, it's a start in case you get stuck somewhere. I also attached a document on how to use it.

In the grant search window, you can doubleclick on the foundationID and it will open a window specific to that row.

Hope this helps.

John

Attachments

• Grant_Tracker.mdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • Grant Tracking Manual.zip
    148.6 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom