Multiple entries for the same field (1 Viewer)

seamusnboo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:29
I'm new to Access and databases so my question might seem dumb, but I need some help figuring something out.

Well, I have this database where I'm storing information from different charities. So I created a table with their name, address, phone, contact person, and many othe things. Now I need to create a field with the services that they offer. Each charity could be able to offer more than one type of service. So for the services field, I cannot create a drop down list because that only allows me to choose one service. So what would be the best way to allow the user select more than one kind of service offered from a list and then be able to search that with a query? I have a list with over 50 different possible offered services and each charity usually offers 2 or 3 different services.

Thanks

Last edited:

statsman

Local time
Today, 06:29
You could create a coding system with all of the individual services plus combinations.
OR
You could add new fields such as Service1, Service2 etc. up to as many as you need.

littlegod

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:29
I thought that junction tables are the answer to this.
in my db i have to combine teams with several consultants and even one consultant with several teams,i did all this with two tables, two fields each and one junction table with three fields.
Is this wrong or bad practice?

cheers,
dan

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:29
Dan has the answer. You need three tables. You already have one for the charities. Your second table will contain the list of services. The third table will have a record for each service each charity offers. So if Charity A offers three services, this table will have three records linked to that charity and each record linked to the relevant service. The record in this table will hold the primary key of the charity and the primary key of the service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom