Keyboard problems after virus (1 Viewer)

L

lizweb20

:confused:
Don't know if this is the correct to ask, but, I recently found out that my computor had viruses, Trojan Horse Downloader and Alchemic. A. My virus scan now says there are no viruses, but my keyboard no longer responds, can't type at all, so can't look up google. Tried another keyboard, but that was the same!! Outlook does not work, can't receive or send, (if I could type)! :confused:
Any help would be much appreciated, but please make it as simple as possible, as I do not understand these modern contraptions! :eek:
Thanks in advance. :D

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:31
Is it a PS2 keyboard or a USB keyboard?

(not that this helps me answer your question it all, I nothing about it!)

if it is a PS2 keyboard have you unplugged it and plug it in whilst the computer was running?

which Operating system are you using,?

Does the Mouse work OK?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
As Uncle Gizmo said double check your connections but this is a known issue with some virus'. It has probably corrupted some system files (probably keyboard.sys). The best way is to do a system repair as this will catch all files that may have been damaged.

If you have windows XP:

First just check to keyboard is actually working before windows loads by pressing either del or F2 (could be another key depending on your BIOS) when the system first starts (i.e. when you see the simple white text on black background) to go into the BIOS.

If that works then great - whilst in the BIOS navigate to the boot options (this will be in one of the menu but it varies from BIOS to BIOS) and check that the cd/dvd rom is set to boot first before the hard disk.

Save (if required) and reboot with your XP disk in and when you get to the welcome to setup screen and press enter - To setup windows XP now - NOTE not the repair a windows installation.
Follow the 'wizard' until setup has detected your installation of windows, you will then get the option to repair this copy of windows. (Don't setup another installation of windows choose the repair option)

Let windows do it's thing i.e. go for a cup of tea, have a run, wash the car go for a pint etc. :D and voila everything should be sorted.

This will repair any damaged system files that may have been corrupted and don't worry it won't do anything to your prog's setting etc. it will return to the way it was before.

If you have any questions post back - good luck

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Minkey said:
before windows loads by pressing either del or F2

I have found that this does not work with a USB keyboard!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Uncle Gizmo said:
I have found that this does not work with a USB keyboard!

I agree that in certain and sometime unique circumstances this may be the case but usb is supported by the BIOS as it's an integral part of the motherboard, though it could depend on which usb version is supported by your motherboard. You could have problems say with a v2.0 keyboard and a v1.0 motherboard depending on BIOS revisions, specific hardware etc. and also certain hardware sometimes just doesn't work properly even if the version is supported. :p

In fact I do have an issue with my usb external hub the motherboard simply doesn't like it and refuses to boot with it plugged in but my usb keyboard works fine in the BIOS - go figure. :rolleyes:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Ah! well I wondered about this! Obviously I have got a "unique" computer!

I didn't realize that mine was a special case I just assumed that all U.S. B. keyboards would not work on boot up. I had visions of techies carrying an old PS2 Keyboard around with them whenever they went to work on someone's PC!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
(Sorry if this seem like a hijack)
You might want to check to see if there is a fix available if you check your motherboard and keyboard manufacturer's web site they might have an updated BIOS revision or driver update, though a BIOS update is a little more techy (sorry if I sound patronising I don't know your level of savvy) or maybe a Google search on your motherboard +keyboard might return some results - you never know ;)
Though if your never going to change your BIOS setting it's a mute excercise - I basically couldn't be bothered sorting out the hub problem as I have enough ports now I've upgraded my motherboard.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I appreciate your advice!

I think I will leave it well alone! It is about two years old now, I am due a new computer:- then, the kids will have this one. They can also have a PS2 keyboard!

L

lizweb20

It is a PS/2 keyboard.
I did try and unplug and redo the ps/2 connection when the computer was running but the keyboard was not working at the time when I did it does this make a difference?
The mouse still works
I have xp installed.
My level on a computer is very basic.
Some additional info, the computer starts up with the white writing then stops and says press F10 (it seems to work on any f key pressed) to continue then it procedes to complete loading. I can then go on to the internet and surf away as I am using the mouse but just cant type from the keyboard.
System restore seemed not to be working for a while as well previous to this problem.
I can't start it up in safe mode after switching system restore off so maybe F8 is not working but not really sure.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Can you double check the message - it should say either: "to enter BIOS press xx" or "to enter setup press xx" where xx is 'normaly' either delete, F2 or F8. (sometimes the message can be a bit vague - also take a note of the BIOS manufacturer and revision - if you can !)

If you still can't get into the BIOS let windows boot up and go to Start > settings > control panel > system > hardware > device manager - do you see any exclimation marks in either the Keyboards or human interface devices and maybe even other devices.

If so expand the tree and right click on the device and select unistall, reboot windows and it may sort it out.

If none of this works I'll do a bit more digging on the viruses you mentioned and post back any info I find.

We can always do a manually extract and install of the required keyboard files or possibly reset the BIOS.

BTW you should still be able to enter safe mode even if you have system restore disabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom