Strange nessage on closing database??? (1 Viewer)

L'apprentis

Redcifer
Local time
Today, 01:30
Hi,
I have been doing some minor change in design view in my database but now each time I am closing the database. I am getting the following message:
"Table 'Temp'MSysAccess objects' Already exists", Is anybody knows why?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:30
I had the same problem and went to Tools>Options>View and turned on [Hidden Objects] and [System Objects] and then deleted the Temp'MSysAccess objects table referred to in the error message. It seemed to clear up the problem with no ill effects. I have Compact on Close turned on and I suspect that has something to do with it.

L'apprentis

Redcifer
Local time
Today, 01:30
Hey rural guy,
Yeah what you're saying is working, thanks,
Well, I also have "Compact on CLose" turned on so it might have something to do with it. It would be interesting to know how and why this is happening to see if there is any way to prevent it or see how often this is likely to happen.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:30
There are some that only compact when the db reaches a certain size. I think it happens when the system HickUps when it is compacting. I still have mine turned on and it only happened one time in two years.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:30
I would import all of my db objects into a new db if received an error about a system table. But that is just my paranoia.

Check this out to see the code I use to turn on the Compact On Close function if the db exceeds a specific size...

auto-compact bypassed by docmd.quit

:D

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:30
I would love to run the compact on close only when the db exceeds a certain size. But, I've tried this before and in order to make this code work, I'd need to give my users all admin permission to the db. That is, I don't think you can change the compact on close setting without having admin permission. Not really willing to do that!

At any rate, I guess I will just do a rebuild on the db (import everything into a new db) and see if this makes the problem go away. I would like to avoid this because then I have to re-set all my user-level-security stuff.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
My dbs are all secured with a custom workgroup and user permissions and my users have no problem running by compact on close code. Plus my users always have to open the db with the /runtime command and it all works just fine.

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:30
Hmmmm..... well, I had a very similar function which I wrote several years ago, but could never get it to work without giving the users admin permission. But maybe it was before I converted to Access 2002? At any rate, I'll give it a try again. Would sure be nice to not have to wait for the db to compact every time I close it.

The one thing I did differently was run my function as part of the autoexec at start up.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
DataMiner said:
Hmmmm..... well, I had a very similar function which I wrote several years ago, but could never get it to work without giving the users admin permission. But maybe it was before I converted to Access 2002? At any rate, I'll give it a try again. Would sure be nice to not have to wait for the db to compact every time I close it.

The one thing I did differently was run my function as part of the autoexec at start up.
I advise that you not run it until the user is ready to close the db. What if the db is under the file size limit you set when they opened the db but their use of the db since it was first opened caused it to bloat beyond your file size limit? That is why you should run the code when the user is closing your db to check if it needs to be compacted when they close the db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom