Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
CEH
Curtis

CEH will become famous soon enough
Barcode scanner input question

OK... Did some searching and posted one question on forms... But still have one important question that has not been answered. First let me say I want to use a scanner connected via USB. ( I need to be able to use this app on a laptop, so keyboard wedge is not possible) Found a quote on a site "TalTech"... Something like that...... This one..
"1) Keyboard Wedge output or USB output

If your bar code scanner has Keyboard Wedge output or USB output you will not need special data collection software. Both these outputs will dump the data right into the foreground application on your PC wherever the cursor is flashing, as if it were being typed in. You do not usually get much control except for the addition of a trailing keystroke, such as an ENTER key, to your data. But these methods are very simple and work fine for many people."

Question is...... Is this true??? Will the USB input directly to the field I want it to?? I just need someone with some experience in this to let me know for sure.

Thanks
Curtis

CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Laurentech

Laurentech is on a distinguished road
Yes it will. It will be seen as a HID - human input device - and will work as your quote above says.

Larry
Laurentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
CEH
Curtis

CEH will become famous soon enough
Thanks Larry........

CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
razorking
Newly Registered User

razorking is on a distinguished road
Here is a little more detailed information for you:

Yes most scanners with a USB connection should just jump and play almost immediately. Basically Windows will recognize the device and load any needed drivers. Then the scanned barcode data will read into almost any application that you can type into via a keyboard. You can use a handheld scanner gun or a wand device.

I can recommend this scanner to you if you are looking for something that is good and relatively inexpensive: Symbol LS2208, you can check it out at the CDW.com website - CDW Part:# 667179. This scanner also comes with a software programming utility that allows you to program the scanner in a variety of different ways if you need any more functionality other than just reading what is in a barcode ( for example: maybe you need to send an enter key after a scan of each barcode, or whatever).

Of course you are not limited to that particular make or model, there are several good manufacturer and models out there.

I use the LS2208 quite and it works well for me. I also have also purchased an ActiveX control that I use in MS Access to create reports and labels with barcodes in them. I got mine from a place called called Tec-IT, but again, there are many to choose from. Generally you can get a decent ActiveX Control for Windows Office Applications for $100.00 or less (U.S.).

So then as you see, you will be able to speed up all kinds of data input tasks by scanning data into Access tables and printing reports and labels for the data input
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Fifty2One
Legend in my own mind

Fifty2One is on a distinguished road
Re: Barcode scanner input question

Always get scanners which can accept programming rather than the ones that need software support to run them. I love scanners as input devices for coworkers on the shop floor because it removes the dreaded finger problems of mistyped id codes. I program an Enter into the scanner to fire on aquisition so the users do not even need to use the Tab or Enter keys. We have made barcode stickers for the back of their keycards so we have no one crying about forgetting their signins and passwords.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
IvyLynette
Newly Registered User

IvyLynette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
OK... Did some searching and posted one question on forms... But still have one important question that has not been answered. First let me say I want to use a scanner connected via USB. ( I need to be able to use this app on a laptop, so keyboard wedge is not possible) Found a quote on a site "TalTech"... Something like that...... This one..
"1) Keyboard Wedge output or USB output

If your bar code scanner has Keyboard Wedge output or USB output you will not need special data collection software. Both these outputs will dump the data right into the foreground application on your PC wherever the cursor is flashing, as if it were being typed in. You do not usually get much control except for the addition of a trailing keystroke, such as an ENTER key, to your data. But these methods are very simple and work fine for many people."

Question is...... Is this true??? Will the USB input directly to the field I want it to?? I just need someone with some experience in this to let me know for sure.

Thanks
Curtis

If your scanner worked out, you can try this barcode reader at OnBarcode.to verify your bacode image, I use it all the time, pretty cool!
IvyLynette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Addyman
Newly Registered User

Addyman is on a distinguished road

They work perfectly as described. We barcode Documents and Boxes and read the labels with USB readers straight into a DB so that they can be booked out and loaned / returned to people.

Addyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addyman For This Useful Post:
mihazemd (04-02-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
vllaznia
Newly Registered User

vllaznia is on a distinguished road
barcode application

hello
i founded an application in app store called barcode 2 sql.
free source downloaded and cool design.
check also the website barcode2sql.com
vllaznia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
mariah313
Newly Registered User

mariah313 is on a distinguished road

as for what you said,you need a barcode scanner,right?

mariah313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: