Barcode scanner input question (1 Viewer)

CEH

Curtis
Local time
Today, 16:06
OK... Did some searching and posted one question on forms... But still have one important question that has not been answered. First let me say I want to use a scanner connected via USB. ( I need to be able to use this app on a laptop, so keyboard wedge is not possible) Found a quote on a site "TalTech"... Something like that...... This one..
"1) Keyboard Wedge output or USB output

If your bar code scanner has Keyboard Wedge output or USB output you will not need special data collection software. Both these outputs will dump the data right into the foreground application on your PC wherever the cursor is flashing, as if it were being typed in. You do not usually get much control except for the addition of a trailing keystroke, such as an ENTER key, to your data. But these methods are very simple and work fine for many people."

Question is...... Is this true??? Will the USB input directly to the field I want it to?? I just need someone with some experience in this to let me know for sure.

Thanks
Curtis

Laurentech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:06
Yes it will. It will be seen as a HID - human input device - and will work as your quote above says.

Larry

CEH

Curtis
Local time
Today, 16:06
Thanks Larry........

razorking

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:06
Here is a little more detailed information for you:

Yes most scanners with a USB connection should just jump and play almost immediately. Basically Windows will recognize the device and load any needed drivers. Then the scanned barcode data will read into almost any application that you can type into via a keyboard. You can use a handheld scanner gun or a wand device.

I can recommend this scanner to you if you are looking for something that is good and relatively inexpensive: Symbol LS2208, you can check it out at the CDW.com website - CDW Part:# 667179. This scanner also comes with a software programming utility that allows you to program the scanner in a variety of different ways if you need any more functionality other than just reading what is in a barcode ( for example: maybe you need to send an enter key after a scan of each barcode, or whatever).

Of course you are not limited to that particular make or model, there are several good manufacturer and models out there.

I use the LS2208 quite and it works well for me. I also have also purchased an ActiveX control that I use in MS Access to create reports and labels with barcodes in them. I got mine from a place called called Tec-IT, but again, there are many to choose from. Generally you can get a decent ActiveX Control for Windows Office Applications for $100.00 or less (U.S.).

So then as you see, you will be able to speed up all kinds of data input tasks by scanning data into Access tables and printing reports and labels for the data input

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Always get scanners which can accept programming rather than the ones that need software support to run them. I love scanners as input devices for coworkers on the shop floor because it removes the dreaded finger problems of mistyped id codes. I program an Enter into the scanner to fire on aquisition so the users do not even need to use the Tab or Enter keys. We have made barcode stickers for the back of their keycards so we have no one crying about forgetting their signins and passwords.

IvyLynette

Local time
OK... Did some searching and posted one question on forms... But still have one important question that has not been answered. First let me say I want to use a scanner connected via USB. ( I need to be able to use this app on a laptop, so keyboard wedge is not possible) Found a quote on a site "TalTech"... Something like that...... This one..
"1) Keyboard Wedge output or USB output

If your bar code scanner has Keyboard Wedge output or USB output you will not need special data collection software. Both these outputs will dump the data right into the foreground application on your PC wherever the cursor is flashing, as if it were being typed in. You do not usually get much control except for the addition of a trailing keystroke, such as an ENTER key, to your data. But these methods are very simple and work fine for many people."

Question is...... Is this true??? Will the USB input directly to the field I want it to?? I just need someone with some experience in this to let me know for sure.

Thanks
Curtis

If your scanner worked out, you can try this barcode reader at OnBarcode.to verify your bacode image, I use it all the time, pretty cool!

Addyman

Registered User.
Local time
They work perfectly as described. We barcode Documents and Boxes and read the labels with USB readers straight into a DB so that they can be booked out and loaned / returned to people.

vllaznia

Local time
Today, 22:06
barcode application

hello
i founded an application in app store called barcode 2 sql.
free source downloaded and cool design.
check also the website barcode2sql.com

mariah313

Local time
as for what you said,you need a barcode scanner,right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom