Record is deleted message? (1 Viewer)

ronniepurpleuk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:04
Hi All,

This is my first post here and I imagine there will be many more as I have only just started out using Access to create a database at work and I am sure that I'm breaking many rules along the way.

Anyway, over the weekend, my boss tried to add some information (to the "Memo" field) in a form that I have created from a table, went to close the form and got a message saying something along the lines of "this record cannot be saved, if you close it, information will be deleted.

Now, in the Memo field, is the text "#Deleted" - when I try to overwrite this and come out of the record, it comes up with the message "record is deleted". If I put information in any other field in the record, there is no problem.

Also, in the table, if I try to sort by the Memo field, it comes up with same message, "record is deleted".

Does anyone know what I've done and how I can solve this?

With thanks in advance.

Ronnie

ronniepurpleuk

Registered User.
Local time
RV said:
You're suffering from data corruption.
Have a look at this thread

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=113209

RV

Thanks for that RV - according to the link you posted, I need to now "compact and repair" my database, I assume? I'm worried about ruining the whole thing by doing something wrong so any further guidance/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to sound stupid but I'm not terribly technical and am only just learning the intricacies of databases. A lot of the post you have linked to is gobbledy-gook to me!!

Thanks for the help though, I will look into data corruption further.

Ronnie

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
if you have an mdw file that is corrupted, could that corrupt all mdw files stored in that computer or can you open them alright?

ronniepurpleuk

Registered User.
Local time
Bee said:
if you have an mdw file that is corrupted, could that corrupt all mdw files stored in that computer or can you open them alright?

I'm not sure whether the question is aimed at me or if you are asking a question of the boards related to my initial query.

I don't know what an mdw file is so can't answer the question if it is aimed at me!

Ronnie

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Question is aimed at anybody.

Cheers,
B

MattCollins

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, i have had this problem as well. The way i have sorted this in the past (and this may be the wrong way) is to compact and repair the database, then go to the table with the affected field. This should now have a row of ###### in it instead of #deleted. You can now delete that record and re-enter it.

AllanL

Local time
Yesterday, 21:04
Recovering the #deleted record???

Matt,

I have seen this happen several times to a database I have stored on a network location with up to 50 users accessing at the same time. I have yet to pinpoint what is causing the deleted records, but my guess is network connectivity issues. I have followed the same steps you have described to gain access to my table again, but had hoped someone has run across an answer on how to recover the record that was inadvertently deleted. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Allan

odin1701

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:04
The records are probably not actually deleted.

I run into this from time to time with my front ends. People get records that say #Deleted for everything, but it's fine in the backend and for everyone else. Replacing the front end with a copy of the original fixes it right up. Repair/compact also would but it's just front end MDE files so a replace is all that is needed.

I have not had anyone ever ask me about a record they put in not coming up due to this - after the replacement or compact/repair, then it seems fine and they find what they need.

AllanL

Local time
Yesterday, 21:04
Well, I have not been able to find any data in the record either before or after the compact/repair steps when the record says #Deleted. After the repair it generally has ####### in several, but not all of the fields. The auto-number field is empty and any indexing I had on my table are gone including the primary key index on the auto-number. thankfully I have had a macro created for some time that I run to recreate the indexes using VBA code. There is one Memo field in my table too which I think is the main issue with this deleting problem along with network issues.
I have other databases where I have separated my data from the forms/reports and have had similar issues, but this particular one contains both tables and forms/reports together.

odin1701

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:04
See I don't even do a repair on the back end when this happens - I just replace the users front end and everything works.

I run a program which does a repair/compact on all of my back end files daily which runs before anyone comes in for the day, so that also greatly reduces the chances of data corruption.

Besides that we've got weekly and daily differential backups going so if anything catastrophic goes wrong, we may lose a days worth of work at the max.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:04
Cheryl,

You have just commented on a very, very (2008) old post.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:04
@Cherylodge - we appreciate that you try to offer help and frequently, that help may even be appropriate. However, the point has been raised among the moderators that your posted help, in part, appears to be a cut/paste from another article. If you are going to take a solution LITERALLY out of another article without posting a link, that might be charged as a form of plaigiarism. The more efficient approach, and one that is legally acceptable, is to make a comment that the problem resembles a problem reported elsewhere, but then just post a link to the article from which that information originated. If you want to say, "only 2nd and 3rd bullet points seem relevant" or in some other way limit the scope of applicability of the reference, that is perfectly OK. We DO appreciate the effort, but wish to avoid issues of potential claims of plaigiarism against the forum.

Or, stated more succinctly, please give credit where credit is due.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom