Error: communicating with OLE server or ActiveX Control (1 Viewer)

S.F.

Unregistered User
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:15
I just installed Office 2007 and I get this error whenever I start MS Access 2007.
"A problem occured while Microsoft Office Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control"

What could it be?
I don't have any antivirus appz or such that could interfere, and my Windows XP+SP2 is updated daily.

MStef

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:15
Check the CODE PAGE on your PC-s, and adapt it for your language.
In your MDB you have got a letter wihich is unknown for your Code page.
Or in the MDB find and change this letter (letters).

S.F.

Unregistered User
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:15
I switched the default language and unicode to English and I still get the same error.

It happens even if I don't open a specific MDB, so it must be something in the program.

ktwoodward

Local time
Today, 16:15
Were you able to resolve your issue? I'm having the same issue with Access 2003.

After rebooting, I started receiving the following message when I open my Access program or any Access database.

"A problem occurred while Microsoft Office Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control".

I rebooted due to a prompt for our network manager for system updates. At first I thought my issues were due to a possible windows update patch or something. But I seem to be the only one having this issue.

I did not have any issues with Access before the rebooted.

Since the error occured I've:
*Rebooted several times
*Repaired my Office package
*Uninstalled, reinstalled Access 2003

But, I still get the same error message.

pkstormy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:15
Are you using any ActiveX controls in your application? I would try creating a new mdb (or accdb) and import all objects which don't utilize an ActiveX control (or things like embedding a word document/etc..)...ie. Import the basic objects (tables/queries) and then import forms which don't utilize an activeX control and then import forms/modules one at a time, testing after each import until you start getting the error.

You can also check your REFERENCES to see if any are missing. Possibly one is missing which would prevent the loading of other references. (for example, a missing ADO type reference could prevent other references from loading and thus cause the error, especially if it's limited to only certain computers (or MSAccess was updated on that computer.)

If you utilize any 'non-standard' activeX type controls, you also may need to re-register that ocx component.

Or using something like the mousewheel.dll without a reference to it (ie. it can't find the dll file) could cause a problem.

Or even something as using the Calendar Control which might have a missing reference (or old one to a previous version.)

It's hard to diagnose these kind of errors from here though without seeing your application and what your code looks like.

Last edited:

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:15
I am facing a similar issue, the funnier part is that it worked on one machine but not the other and i still can't figure out why, none of my machines are using Norton Antivirus (one's on XP though and the other's on Vista)

I have an .ocx ActiveX control that I want to embed in my form. Registered it successfully using regsvr32. When trying to import it in Access, I get the same error: "A problem occured while Microsoft Office Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control"

Did the same steps on the other machine and it worked like a charm. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

wimdem

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:15
I am glad other people also have issues like this.
Mine looks a bit similar :
I made an Access 2007 database on my Windows XP laptop a few years ago. It has 4 columns in the master table that contain bitmap images (just copy-pasted small 278 kB .bmp files into it ). On the laptop all works fine I can insert pictures and all reports come out ok.

I also have Access 2007 on my desktop, also under Windows XP. I want to phase-out my laptop so I transferred the database from my laptop to my desktop just by copying it. it works ok, except for the pictures that do not show-up anymore. The database has the same size still as it has on the laptop. When I open the master table the cells where I expect the bitmap images seem empty.
When I try to insert a new picture I get an error message saying there is a problem with the OLE server or an Active-X control. I have spent all afternoon now getting this issue in hand but with no other result than utter frustration.:confused:

I am puzzled, or better still, completely stuck. I have no clue where to start.
The internet fora did not help yet, none of those I was able to locate anyhow.
I appreciate if any of you sheds some light in my darkness.

-- wim --

Last edited:

wimdem

Local time
I see more people get problems on this topic.

I have tried a lot of options without success and maybe this one gives a clue :
I have 4 columns with data type "OLE object" in my database in which I store a bitmap.
I create a small .bmp file and then copy-paste it into the database via a simple form.
On my "new" environment I get this errormessage in a pop-up :
"A problem occurred while database_xx was communicating with the OLE server or an AxtiveX control. Close the OLE server and restart it outside of database_xx. Then try the original operation again in database_xx."

I looked at all the services that run on my machine and I can not find one that looks like this OLE server.
I do not know which ActiveX control might be required to display the .bmp in my form ...

Does anyone know how I can stop and restart the OLE server ?

regards,
-- wim --

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
My suggestion is if these are small bitmaps you don't need to store them.

Simon

wimdem

Local time
Simon, I am sorry but I do not understand your advice. at first glance it does not sound very helpful.
I want to store pictures of our equipment inventory in the database along with the status and other details to be able to manage it in a transparent way.
Please be more specific in your advice.

regards,
-- wim --

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
There is little rationale to actually store images within a database. The only reason I can think of is convenience. However this images require large amount of information compared to the data itself.

I have a application that has 20,000 images and it would ne inconceivable to store this images within a blog (binary large object). Instead If StockID = 1 then the corresponding image is 1.jpg so everytime a stock record is displayed there is a Function to call for the corresponding image.

Simon

wimdem

Local time
Simon, you are right. I will make the change.
The transfer of the database with the pictures to another computer will then require more work. my file naming convention already will make it possible though.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
-- wim --

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:15
I had the same error and the only thing that helped was to change the system locale to the language used on the computer on which the app was compiled:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-system-locale#1TC=windows-7

Now my question is whether it is possible to change the language for non unicode apps programmatically just for ONE application (instead of changing it for the entire system)?

I found http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13209 but this tool is not made for WIN 7 and I would to have more control over the process.

Thanks for advice - FRANK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom