Run Time Error 3071 (1 Viewer)

red2002yzfr1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:15
I am having a Runtime Error 3071 in a report, but only on certain computers. It seems to be on the older/slower computers. On the newer/faster computers, the report will preview, but does take a little time to get to the preview.

On the older/slower computers, when I preview the report, I get the error and when I go to debug, it takes me to some code that executes the print preview.

This report does do a lot of calculations, queries and has two subreports, etc.

attached is a screenshot of report.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• PSA.jpg
    PSA.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 506

jkl0

jkl0
Local time
Check to make sure that there is a default printer installed.

Hope this helps?

red2002yzfr1

Registered User.
Local time
Default printer is installed, still no luck.

I have also ran the report on a few other computer and there is no abnormal problems. Also checked the computers for there processor and RAM, all are equally matched. I did a performance analysis and corrected any issues, still getting a runtime error 3071. I have compacted and repaired the Db, not having any success on this one computer.

Any more ideas, I am willing to try.

red2002yzfr1

Registered User.
Local time
I think I have figured out the what is making me have a run time error. I have a query that is extracting a dollar amount out of a field. The query looks for the $ sign, well if there is no $ sign, it results in an error, which in the report, it is try to do calculations on text. Once I went into the records and put a dollar sign in them, the report would run and there would be no run time errors.

Now just have to clean up over 20000 records, having fun now!

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 01:15
You shouldn't be storing the "$" in the table as it is. That's a formatting issue, not part of the data. Since you said you have 20,000 records, you just added 20,000 bytes (19.5KB) to the size of the DB, all of it extraneous. And, that will just get bigger with time.

It's the same way you should store a phone number as 1234567890 but then format it to display as 123-456-7890 or (123)456-7890 or whatever other format you want.

red2002yzfr1

Registered User.
Local time
This Db was created back in 1995 and the $ sign being added was not any of my doing. I just started maintaining it about 3 months ago. Whats done is done, need to fix it. My plan is to go back and take out all the $ signs and that was not the only thing that was entered into the fields, I also have to remove the text that also resides in the fields. So like I said before, having fun!

NoSaySo

Phillip Hoseason-Smith
Local time
Today, 16:15
This is just a clarification for any new searches of this issue. It seems the more direct answer to the issue is a field that has been set as Text, but numbers are used. If someone adds a Alpha character or symbol to the field it is not normally a problem until you try to sum it in a report then you can get the run-time error 3071 or the VB error "Reserved".

Mattster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
To either remove the $ symbol or other common text simply highlight that column and use Edit > Replace where you will replace "$" with "", make sure you search such that it will find any part of the cell and not the whole cell. Also if you are converting this to all number values, it would be worth your while to convert this field to either a currency, double or integer field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom