Runtime won't allow multipe users (1 Viewer)

krcdeveloper

Local time
Today, 16:28
I have a database that is opened by two workstations with full access and four workstations with runtime. The two workstations will full access can open the database at the same time. However, if the database is open by any user, the workstations using runtime will not open.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Strange that you posted this question, because I just had the exact same thing happen at work. The one user with a run-time install cannot access a DB when it's being accessed by anyone else. The appears to be a by-product of having a run-time version instead of the full version installed.

To verify that what I'm saying is correct, have one of your run-time users try to open Access without opening a DB. If Access returns an error message (something like, "There is no database associated with this file"), then that is the problem. The solution is to install a licensed full version of Access on all of the machines.

I know it's no problem for where I work (a giant company), but I think you may be in a situation where some people got run-time versions because the license is cheaper, and therefore more cost-effective.

The solution in that case is to build a front-end that all the users can use and have that front-end (which can be run on all computers regardless of the install type) access the data on a back-end server with a full install.

Search for FE/BE or front end or back end on this forum and you'll find a lot of instructions on how to structure a setup like that.

Rickster57

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:28
runtime

Hmmmmm. This is indeed strange. I have a client where the BE resides on the network and approxiamtely 10 users all have their own FE installed on their PC. 4 of the PC's have just the runtime version and there are no issues with multiple users.

Anyone else seen this problem?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 14:28
I also have multiple runtime users (10-60) accessing databases at the same time, but all with their own Front-ends.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Runtimes are freely distributable.

I support numerous (Access)FE/(Oracle)BE databases where some users have runtimes and other have native A2K.

I've never encountered the subject problem.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Smells to me like the users with full access are looking at an incompletely secured DB. By implication, the full Access users are connecting as Admin, which has OpenExclusive rights.

Question: Is the run-time version opening a secured database?

Question: Are the full versions joining a workgroup before they attempt to access the DB? If not, are they using an icon that implies a workgroup? If not, do you know what an Access workgroup represents?

If this is an unsecured database and nobody is joining a workgroup, your problem is that your database is not set up for the environment you have given it. In which case I strongly urge you to learn about the SEARCH function on this forum. Search for articles relating to Securing a Database, Open Exclusive, Workgroup Security, and similar topics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom