Transfer of application from VBA to VB.net (1 Viewer)

kapil

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:10
Hi,

I am creating a full fledged project using MSAccess forms and VBA. As the project is going very big, so i was thinking of transfering it to VB.net.
I am not able to figure out that would it be a good idea to move to VB.net to VBA.
What are the advantages we get using VB.net over VBA. I am totally confused. I could not get any information telling the differences between the two.
Please help me in finding out the solution to it.
Thanking you,

with regards,
Kapil

Treason

#@$%#!
Local time
Today, 10:40
Things won't be as straight forward in VB.net

MS Access and VBA put everything into one neat little package. It's a complete Database Management System. VB.net can handle databases but it is a big learning curve from MSAccessVBA.

A better question is why do you want to migrate? Too much data? to many forms? explain better...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:40
I presume you would be moving up to MS SQL server as well? If that's the case, it's not out of the question, and you can download a mini version of the SQL server and visual basic net 2005 for three at the moment. So you could start experimenting straight away. VB net 2005 has some very nice database handling features in it. The learning curve is not as big as it once was!

Cheers Tony

kapil

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:10
Application getting bigger and Bigger each day

Hi,

The database would remain to be MS Access. It would not be transferred to MS Sql. The reason behind me thinking of migrating to VB.net from VBA is to use more features that are provided by VB.net when compared with VBA. I have not used VB.net but am finding restrictions while coding with VBA as not many APIs and controls are there with VBA.
I do not know whether lot many of them are present there with VB.net. I have this doubt. Becuase the amount of time which would require me to transfer the entire application and also learn the tool would require some time.
SO the question is that is it advisable for me to go on to a new technology and learn it to complete the project or should stick where i am at the moment and continue with my work in VBA.
What all advantages VB.net has over VBA with MS Access being the database for sure.

Thanks & regards,
Kapil Sharma

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom