Parameter + Update question (1 Viewer)

Anchoress

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:19
Hi all:

I am trying to figure out how (if it's even possible) to update a field with the string of a parameter query search result from a different field? It doesn't have to be all in the same query.

I have a memo field that I want to search on with a parameter query, and then plug the text from the search into a different field.

So, source field called MEMO, destination field called FURNITURE.

Search for 'chesterfield' in MEMO, plug 'chesterfield' into FURNITURE field for returned records.

I'm going to be doing this hundreds of times with different strings, so I think it has to be a parameter query (unless there's a better option that's equally dynamic). Or, is there another way to bulk-update?

Oh, and I'm running Access2000 on NT4.0.
Any help is greatly appreciated. And Hello from Vancouver, Canada.

Last edited:

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:19
Will your memo field in your eg only include Chersterfield or will there be other text held also?

Anchoress

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, Michael:

The MEMO field contains a quantity of other text, different for each record.

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

I think you need a update query and a form to enter your word, so that you enter e.g. Chesterfield only once.

In the query using the criteria under your memo field of Like "*" &[Forms]![NameofForm]![nameof textbox] & "*" and then in theUpdate To of your furniture column put [Forms]![NameofForm]![nameof textbox].

Add a button to your form which runs the query
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Anchoress

Registered User.
Local time
Michael:

Thank you!!!! It worked like a charm! Now I'm getting greedy, though. Would it be easy to add a command to delete the string from the memo field after it's been added to the furniture field?

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
Great glad it worked :)

I think you would need to use VBA to strip the string from the memo field, and I'm not sure about how to do that, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom