Database suddenly read-only (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 14:09
I have a database running for the last 6 or so years (A97) and have the ctl-shift disable enable code in it to stop people tinkering about with it.

The database was aparently working fine yesterday and today it's decided to be read-only so no-one can update the data.

It's on a server - all permissions ok and not read-only.

I can't get the disable/enable code to work either. So basically, it's locked for any development changes and it's locked for any data changes.

The IT boys are going to take a backup from the tapes of the server and re-install it, so it should be ok, but I've never had this happen before and the database is used daily for the last 6 years with no problems.

Any speculative thoughts?

[edit] I have done a search and couldn't find anything that fitted the situation

Thanks

Col

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Has somebody tweaked the mdb file itself. View in Explorer, right click select properties and make it Read Only.

Just a thought

L

John.Woody

Registered User.
Local time
speculative thoughts
Althoug you say "It's on a server - all permissions ok and not read-only"
Favorite reason would be permissions not OK. May be something has changed on the server.

I had a case where XPPro was serving a db and all of a sudden it went read only, I checked permissions and all appeared OK. Rebooted server PC and everything started working OK.

HTH

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 06:09
failing that - how about create new d/base and import everything in (tables first) compli - then the rest - see if this solves it - had the same problem couple of years ago - not sure how i solved it - but I did in the end

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:09
Ask if a recent patch was done to the server that involved the MDAC code or that involved macro security.

One of the issues that get you every time is a patch that includes a tiny little policy change to the security code. For instance, WinXP Service Pack 2 just about KILLED any unsigned .DLL files. If you whack the DLL by making the associated objects read-only, there you are.

Also, an issue that you need to consider is that YOUR group's permissions might be OK, but is there a chance that someone dinked with some OTHER group's permissions in a way that spilled over to accidentally include you?

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Today, 06:09
Another idea: if there is a user total file-size limit/quota on the server, and the db (combined with other files on the server) has grown to reach this limit then new records will mysteriously not be saved. It has happened to me before.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Just to say thanks to the contributors here - most of the suggestions I'd tried but appreciate your thoughts.

Our teckies have re-installed the Db from the backup discs and all seems well now.

Thanks chaps

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Out of interest what was it?

I have no idea - sorry. I can't work out why / how / or by whom it happened. I'm pleased the backup is ok and not much data was lost. I can't get into the database construction to see.

As long as our Medical Secretaries are happy thats the main thing

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:09
Oh, crud, yeah! Keep the secretaries happy. The bosses think they run the place, but it is their secretaries / admin assistants that do the REAL work.

Just like Chief Petty Officers run the Navy and Coast Guard and the Sergeants run the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps. Let the officers live in their blithe ignorance and not bother the chiefs and sergeants.

Back to the real world: Colin, one bit of "Old Programmer's Rules" - problems that go away by themselves come back by themselves. Be on the lookout for a recurrence. Yes, it is good to know that your backup works. It would be BETTER to know why you needed it. So if there is ANY WAY IN HELL to debug it if it happens again, I strongly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom