Parameter is incorrect (1 Viewer)

Bhaughbb

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:20
I wasn't able to find a solution to my particular problem yet by searching so I am posting a new thread, apologies if this already exists elsewhere.

About a week ago one of the computers in our office started getting an error message when trying to open any access .mdb file. The window title is the file path and name, it's got the red x icon and repeats the path and filename and states "The parameter is incorrect." and when OK is clicked exits.

We have about a dozen access .mdb files on our network server used as our report generating system currently. The computer having problems is a network server that is dedicated to Windows Remote Desktop logins for our managers at remote sites to connect and work. The problem only occurs if someone else is in the database they are trying to open. If nobody is in the database it opens just fine. Any two or more other computers in our office can open the same .mdb at the same time with no problems, it is only this one computer and after several years in the last week and a half or so this problem has cropped up.

Problem computer is Windows Server 2003 and the .mdb files in question are access 2000/2003 files.

Advice and assistance in finding a solution is greatly appreciated.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:20
Could you not change it to a frontend backend system?

Bhaughbb

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:20
That is kind of what we have, all the data is on our sqlserver, the .MDBs are just for reporting from out server.

I'm trying to locate a solution as to why that computer can't access the .mdb files are are open by another user, even if the user is another remote desktop user logged in through the same server.

Jhitch

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:20
parameter incorrect fix

We started having this problem after we reinstalled our remote desktop server. If there was more than one user in the database all other remote desktops would get the above error message. I found this fix from another forum which has done the trick for us - although i do not understand why it works!

"I think this bad behaviour comes from the (domain) group policy.

Try to remove the MDB file type from designated file types within:

MMC -> add-snapin: GPO Editor (load your local GPO or Domain GPO)
check the settings

"Computer Configuration"
L___Windows Settings
L___Security Settings
L___Software Restriction Policies
L___Designated File Types

and remove the MDB entry."

http://access.softwareheadlines.com/the-parameter-is-incorrect-error-message-t16576.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom