Add a trusted location with Access 2007 Runtime (1 Viewer)

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:18
How in the world do I add a trusted location with only the Runtime version of Access 2007 installed on the PC?

I am in the process of distributing some new runtime-only applications; how do I stop the irritating "potential security risk" warning from coming up everytime the user logs in??? I can't figure out how to get to the "trust center" with only Access Runtime installed. Users don't have any other 2007 applications like Word or Excel either, and are running Windows XP, NOT Vista.

Zigzag

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Dataminer,

When you package your application up for deployment there is a stage where you can add a digital signature. When the application is then opened on the clients PC (As long as the macro security level has not been set to high) then the client has the opportunity to install your signature. The next time your application is opened there is a check box that can be clicked to always trust this signature. After this has been checked you will not see the message again.

So in brief, search forum for Digital Signature

Garry

Zigzag

Registered User.
Local time
Me again,

Just reread your post, what I have posted is aimed towards Access 2003. Maybe someone will will put me right if it doesnt apply to 2007.
Sorry for any misleading info.

Garry

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
I am not doing anything like "packaging my application for deployment". My applications are all used internal to my company, and I just
1. Install Access runtime
2. Copy the FE onto the PC.

This has worked fine for me for many years... up until Access 2007, with it's additional security "features". It still works OK... just an ongoing irritation to have that "potential security risk" thing pop up every time. Especially when the only help document microsoft has says to go use a menu that's NOT EVEN THERE when you're using runtime.

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Access 2007 runtime, still getting security warning

Thanks, that certainly looks like it would help, but after manually editing the registry I'm still getting the security warning. (at least I didn't seem to break anything).

My "trusted location" is on a network drive, not a local drive, so I think I have to also find a way of editing the registry that is the same thing as clicking the "Allow network locations" box in the Trust Center.

After reviewing the Registry settings on the one PC where I have the full version of Access installed, it looks as if there is a Registry setting:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\TrustedLocations]
AllowNetworkLocations(REG_DWORD) = 1

So I added this manually to the PC where I have only Access Runtime installed. Again, didn't seem to break anything, but I'm still getting the security warning everytime I start the Access application. Tried rebooting, no help.

ANy other ideas?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 04:18
Thanks, that certainly looks like it would help, but after manually editing the registry I'm still getting the security warning. (at least I didn't seem to break anything).

My "trusted location" is on a network drive, not a local drive, so I think I have to also find a way of editing the registry that is the same thing as clicking the "Allow network locations" box in the Trust Center.

After reviewing the Registry settings on the one PC where I have the full version of Access installed, it looks as if there is a Registry setting:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\TrustedLocations]
AllowNetworkLocations(REG_DWORD) = 1

So I added this manually to the PC where I have only Access Runtime installed. Again, didn't seem to break anything, but I'm still getting the security warning everytime I start the Access application. Tried rebooting, no help.

ANy other ideas?
Sorry, no I don't.

dsfcom

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:18
I too am looking for a solution to a similar problem. I have tried manually adding trusted locations, changing allownetworklocations to "1", changing allowuserlocations to "1", and nothing is working. If anyone knows the appropriate registry changes to make please post.

mdecaney

Local time
Today, 06:18
after digging though the registry, i have found the way to manaully add a folder to trusted security and i have found this to work with both local and network paths.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Name_For_Path_Goes_Here]
"Path"="PATH_To_Database"

the easiest way we found to distrobute this is by having the registry file silently imported at user login.

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
I just worked this issue yesterday.
I had to check the "trust network locations" as well as add the folder as a trusted location. But after I had done this I no longer get the security warning.
I put together an instruction email to all of my users and no one is getting this warning any more. No registry hacks were needed.

jepoysaipan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:18
Hi AC5FF,

Care enough to share your solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
Jepoysaipan

It's pretty much as I said. Off the new office button at the top left of Access I choose the button at the bottom; (Access Options). The window that opens has a selection for Trust Center. I added the network path to the trusted locations (including subfolders) and at the bottom there is another checkbox (Allow Trusted Locations on my Network) and I had to check that box as well.

Sorry I can't get more descriptive with this right now... I'm at home and still have Office2003 here. 2007 is at work :p I did get my copy of 2007 in the mail Saturday, but I need serious hardware upgrades before I even THINK of attempting to install it here at home :) I will try to edit this tomorrow if I can remember :)

Last edited:

craigachan

Registered User.
Local time
I've followed your post on this subject as I have been having problems with this too. My question to you, AC5FF, is that will all these "Trusts" follow the packaged version in runtime? You can no longer set these in runtime.

My experience has been that it works when the full version is trusted but it has not been following the packaged database on a runtime workstation which can no longer be adjusted.

So were you able to get rid of the warnings on those running runtime?

jepoysaipan

Registered User.
Local time
Hi SrtraitJacket,

Welcome to the forum!

Well, the solution that I was expecting is that after the deployment, because after you deploy the DB using the 2K7 runtime it's impossible to open and set trusted locations, now the next question is why do we need to modify trusted locations? Answer: Let say they upgraded their server, change folder name, move the DB to another server location etc. etc.

It will be very nice for the application to have this such utility much like the same in 2K3 simply call a routine (relink()...) to get the DB up and running during a scenario.

Thanks.

Jeff

stwalker

Local time
The following solution worked for me:

Edit registry:

Under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security
create a new DWORD key named VBAWarnings with value 0x00000001

No need to add a trusted location, the warning message does not appears anymore.

I hope this can solve your problem.

Hi SrtraitJacket,

Welcome to the forum!

Well, the solution that I was expecting is that after the deployment, because after you deploy the DB using the 2K7 runtime it's impossible to open and set trusted locations, now the next question is why do we need to modify trusted locations? Answer: Let say they upgraded their server, change folder name, move the DB to another server location etc. etc.

It will be very nice for the application to have this such utility much like the same in 2K3 simply call a routine (relink()...) to get the DB up and running during a scenario.

Thanks.

Jeff

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
I must be doing something wrong. I followed this; went to the registry as shown, and added the setting, but I still get the problems.. Hmm

craigachan

Registered User.
Local time
It worked on all my workstation except 1. I haven't yet figured out what the difference is yet.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I have not read all the thread so may have missed something:)

I got this from member KenHigg, copy/pasted from posting. It worked for me on Vista and XP and obviously worked for Ken. My testing was using Runtime 2007 to open DBs in A2003.

"Basicly you create a new key in the registry and tell where the trusted folder is.

a. Run the registry editor by doing Start->Run and typing in regedit
b. Navigate to the following folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\A ccess\Security\Trusted Locations\

c. Highlight the 'Trusted Locations' folder, right click and do New->Key
d. You can name this whatever you like.
e. Then highlight the new key and right click and do New->String Value
f. Name the new String Value 'Path' (without the quotes)
g. Highlight the new 'Path' key entry, right click and do Modify
h. Here type in the path to your new trusted folder something like:

c:\mynewfolder\

Ok to save, close the registry editor and it should work."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom